motor size

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Although some people have put 15 HP motors on their classic macs the manufacturer recommends a maximum of 10 HP. 10 HP is all that you will ever need.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There are many threads on this. Any more than 10 (9.9) HP is a waste on these boats. What you want on the motor after that is a personal preference or mandated by the waters you sail (motor) on. Personally, I was very happy with my '03 long shaft, 9.9 2-stroke Merc with pull-start only. YMMV

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
What you want on the motor after that is a personal preference or mandated by the waters you sail (motor) on. Personally, I was very happy with my '03 long shaft, 9.9 2-stroke Merc with pull-start only. YMMV
I was happy with my pull start but my wife had trouble starting it and she hated seeing me reach over the transom to raise it out of the water. Also while I was starting it one time my dog snuck up behind me and I ended up elbowing him and knocking him for a loop.

When it was time to replace it I went for the deluxe model with electric start, EFI, and power tilt. Those little luxuries sure are nice.