Motor Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Berte'

OB's on C22

Last year I purchased a new Johnson Sailmaster 8 HP out board for my C22. It has plenty of power for this boat and a charging system( with pigtail)to maintain your on board battery. This engine is a pull start and requires no battery to start.I think it's a good mix for this boat. I don't race the boat so wieght was not a concern to me.

B

Brad Elbein

OB for C22

The short answer is that for my use on my old C22, 2.5 hp was plenty--with this very strong caveat: You're talking about a boatload of money for an o.b., so of course you're going to be tempted to try to get off cheap. The main way to cut the cost of an OB is to get the short shaft. DON'T DO IT. I owned a C22 until just a few months ago. It had a very reliable little Suzuki 2.2 hp outboard motor. The thing worked like a charm ... except that when I was running for home in foul weather, it would cavitate. I couldn't keep the prop in the water, and on occassion it would overheat and die. Not a good thing when the weather sucks. So, I'd say spend the money for a long shaft--it's a true life saver.

D

Dave Ullrich

Depends on needs

I have several friends that have C-22s (I have a C-30). I would say it depends on your needs. 5 hp is plenty if your just using it as a pusher to get in and out of the slip. But if youi plan on doing more powering and/or encounter foul weather, I'd suggest more power. One friend has a Nissan 5 Long shaft. This seems to push the boat fine in light winds, but in heavy chop and or into a heavy headwind he has problems. Another friend has a 9.9 longshaft Suzuki. Man, hsi little boat powers great. At WOT, he can easily pass my Cat 30 under power.

D

Don

I use a Mercury 8hp long shaft. Plenty of power. Did change to a power prop to get more rpms. Best part is that the throttle and shifter are together. Turn one way for forward and the other way for reverse. No more hanging over the stern to shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.