Motor recommendations for 170

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Been sailing our 170 on inland lakes for years, never even considered putting a motor on it. This year we are thinking of taking it to the NC outer banks (Ocracoke Island) where we will be staying for a week on the Pamilco Sound side of the island. Now I think a motor is a good idea...

Any particular recommendations? Max weight/hp? Other considerations?

I would love to get one of the TORQEEDO rechargables but at $1700+ it is almost as much as we paid for the boat.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
You can go with a 24 volt trolling motor for about 4 bills including batteries. I use an 86 lbs thrust motor on the RL 24. It works great most of the time. I have been in 2 storms where the wind was too much for the motor. 40+mph winds. Otherwise it has been great. It "starts" every time. My wife can easily handle it. Its much nicer for docking, as you have much greater control. Its also dead quiet when ghosting along. It will move at about 5 knots when wide open. Most of the time I run at half throttle, which is around 3 knots. Your boat is much smaller, but I would still go with a 24 volt setup, as the cost is not that much more. That setup will still be cheaper than a gas engine.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
So I assume a 24V system uses 2 12-V marine batteries? The 170 has no good place to secure them anywhere at the rear of the boat... anyone out there with a 170 using large trolling batteries? Where/how do you place the batteries?

Sep 20, 2014
Yes. 2 lead acid marine batteries. You could spend more money and use a LiFePO4 pack. This would be smaller and possibly fit in a dedicated battery box. The other option is as my boat was built with conduit to the rear anchor light. I was able to run a pair of 8 ga wires up to the cabin. That would be the best, as most boats have too much weight in the rear once you get them loaded up with passengers.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Been sailing our 170 on inland lakes for years, never even considered putting a motor on it. This year we are thinking of taking it to the NC outer banks (Ocracoke Island) where we will be staying for a week on the Pamilco Sound side of the island. Now I think a motor is a good idea...

I would love to get one of the TORQEEDO rechargables but at $1700+ it is almost as much as we paid for the boat.
This is a link to the 170 Boat info. There are some photos of a battery box and trolling motor.
https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/resources/index.php?task=model&mid=11

Motor depends a lot on the intended usage, docking vs motoring long distance. A small gas motor with integrated tank and a spare can stored forward might be a better ‘long’ range solution

Sep 20, 2014
I should also mention that wide open into a head wind will pull about 50 amps. Normal cruising at half throttle is about 15 amps. With a 100ah battery, you should get about 6 to 7 hours of run time. So at 4 mph, you would go about 20 + miles, as long as you are not fighting a headwind. If you are, put the sails up.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston

There is an older thread that applies to your question
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/trolling-motor-for-17-foot-hunter.150564/

I have a 2HP 4 stroke Honda on my 2004 H216 that the original owner purchased with the boat from the dealer. I’m guessing this was the go to solution for many Hunter dealers. About 30lbs all in with plenty of power.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm with Joe. A small gas outboard with self contained tank. ....and a tent? Sounds like a great trip. Where will you launch?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I suspect the 170 came from American Marine & Sail in Zebulon with locations in Oriental and little Washington at times.
At the Outer Banks, Pamlico Sound and Albermale Sound one can expect winds, fast currents and so forth. It was suggested a gas engine of 2-3 hp with additional fuel that has a forward/neutral/reverse vs. the swing around style for reverse. Some folks got too far away and battery operated motors did not do the job. Also, the Sounds are affected by wind tide, not tidal current. I could go on but I know the area well as I was the dealer. Battery fine if staying close

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
I suggest that you first try to tighten the screws on the motor mount before you try to mount a motor. If water has gotten to the wood that the motor mount screws hold into then the mount may not be held by much.
I had the screws out on mine and when I went to put them back they kept turning and did not stop. If you do not have cracks back there you are likely fine, but a few minutes with a screw driver will give you peace of mind.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I have used a 30# thrust trolling motor, a 2.3 hp gas job & a 3.5hp gas job on my H-170. The 3.5 is overkill. The 30# thrust motor is good for getting in & out of docks, but if you want to motor for miles, you will need to carry more batteries than you have room & weight capacity for. If you want to fight a 3 knot current, the 30# electric motor will not be up to the task. The 2.3 is a good match. I almost never get to full throttle on it.

Get a LONG shaft. Short shafts come out of the water way too easily, even in small seas.

Don't go a whole lot over 3hp. The original motor mount on that boat is kind of wimpy, even when it is in good condition. My motor mount was a mess when I got the boat. I did an extensive rebuild on it & beefed it up some. You can find the 2-part write up on my rebuild here - https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=model&mid=11&mn=170

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Folks, unless you know the currents around Ocracoke, Pamlico and Albamarle Sounds, the best is still the Honda 2 hp. A 3.5 is too much power and I would not advise any motor of that hp to be on board as anyone could crank it up.
Shorefun is correct about the attachement of the screws as they are screwed into a wood block within the construction but do not overtighten either. There are varying opinions on replacecment or inserting materials into wet wood but that is apparently not the case here.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
We sailed any number of daysailers in the North Carolina sounds for years with nothing more than sailing skill and a canoe paddle. Never used the stern motor mount. Spend your money on good ground tackle, and a pair of marine radios (one for shoreside).

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I have a 4hp and a 36lbs 12v trolling motor on my Starwind 19. The 4hp is great and I would usually run it at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The trolling motor does a decent job getting in and out of the harbor but I wouldnt expect it to get you out of a storm. If you're a casual sailor that can pick and choose which days to sail on the trolling motor will work for you. If not, go with an outboard.

The outboard will get incredibly annoying when your going traveling away from the marina. It's like a sigh of relief when we shut it down. Perhaps a larger one at lower throttle would be less annoying

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
... Spend your money on good ground tackle, and a pair of marine radios (one for shoreside).
VHF radios on recreational boats are licensed by rule these days, but shore stations are not. If you want to be legit, transmitting from a VHF on shore, you need to get a station license from the FCC. Enforcement of this requirement doesn't seem to be a priority at this time, but you should be aware of the potential issue.