Motor mount

Oct 21, 2012
Macgregor 22 Lake Texoma Tx
What is the average weight of a 15hp two stroke motor ? I have a mount rated for 15hp it's a older OMC mount made back when twostroke was all you could get. I have a 9.9 hp 4stroke long shaft elec start. The mount is bolted on with 1/8 alum backing plates. Will this work on my 9.9 ?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What is the weight of your O.B. and what make?

Oct 21, 2012
Macgregor 22 Lake Texoma Tx
I can't find the book on it but it's 9.9 Nissan extra long shaft elec. start

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Motor mounts are not rated for Horsepower but for weight. We had an 80's Nissan 2 stroke 9.8 engine that weighed around 65 lbs and the curious fact was that the 15hp model engine weighed only about 3 lbs more. Before you hang a 90+ lbs 4stroke engine in that mount I would ascertain its rating. Is it a fixed mount or is it one of those where you can raise or lower the engine? I'm not so much concerned about it coming of the backing plates but all the other components as after all it seems to be a 30+ year old mount. I notice you sail in a lake where any likely large wave would probably come from the wake of a passing boat and for that your mount may be OK but if you were coastal cruising I would say replace the mount for a new rated for the weight of the engine.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
. ...... We had an 80's Nissan 2 stroke 9.8 engine that weighed around 65 lbs and the curious fact was that the 15hp model engine weighed only about 3 lbs more....... .
Benny.. with my Tohatsu (which also makes Nissan and Mercury) the 9.9 Hp and 15 Hp share the same engine block.. the horse power difference is in fuel delivery system. Tohatsu offers a kit to upgrade the 9.9 to a 15 hp.... I spent $125 for the upgrade about 5 years ago.