Motor mount just not lifting any more

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
So I have found my motor mount will not hold position in rolly swells. The minute there isn‘t positive pressure from the motor it drops to the lowest setting making it darn near impossible to quickly lift and reset without jamming my fat butt under the stern rail and all the fun stuff back there. I have the garhauer mount but I fear it is showing it’s years. So looking for some advice as to replace or “fix” the current one. keep in mind my goal is my 5’1” wife should be able to move the motor in a pinch.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
high on my best mod list was throwing away that da#$ lift "adjustment" mechanism and installing this. no more crawling under the railing, and now it's a 3 second task to raise or lower.
IMG_0479.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I just wish I could get rid of the teeth-shaking rattle our mount makes. It's so loud it's embarrassing.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
super old pic from the day she came home-- but do you have this version of mount or different? Just curious-- Mine is essentially a PITA as well.

IMG_0239.JPG

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I was looking at @RussC's set up -- but mine, like yours requires the downward and slightly outward push before the notch disengages and the spring takes over.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I was looking at @RussC's set up -- but mine, like yours requires the downward and slightly outward push before the notch disengages and the spring takes over.
I eliminated the notch and the spring altogether as both are no longer needed. I did make a replacement plate without the notches on mine, but just to limit the up and the down travel range.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I can get the push, it is the lift, if I had a line to pull once released good to go and more important once cleated, I have some security if the notch gets knocked loose, the engine will not plummet to the bottom of the mounts travel.my spring is weak, so I still have to lift what feels like the full weight of the motor with no leverage and a poor mechanical position.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I eliminated the notch and the spring altogether as both are no longer needed. I did make a replacement plate without the notches on mine, but just to limit the up and the down travel range.
I think I am going to try a variation of your set up some 25mm blocks one with becket and v cleat, an eyestrap, a stainless hose clamp and some 1/4” line and It should be better for under $50

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
so testing is going well with this, just need to put in the pad eye and get less slippery rope. Wife can manage to haul engine up and I can cleat off or put in a stopper knot for max drop. Ocean trials to come

BDC51493-6B0C-49C2-9B95-B596E1AA8B1D.jpeg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
FYI: there is/was a rebuild kit available for the oem Garhauer mount.

Can't remember who posted about doing it. They had issues dismantling the round "sleeves" due to corrosion.
They installed new bushings because the original mounts had plastic bushings (CD's improved version has metal ones)
If I remember correctly it solved any play in the mount in addition to making it easier to move.

Great thread. Rebuilding our mount is on my todo list. :poop:

Last edited:

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
FYI: there is/was a rebuild kit available for the oem Garhauer mount.

Can't remember who posted about doing it. They had issues dismantling the round "sleeves" due to corrosion.
They installed new bushings because the original mounts had plastic bushings (CD's improved version has metal ones)
If I remember correctly it solved any play in the mount in addition to making it easier to move.

Great thread. Rebuilding our mount is on my todo list. :poop:
I replaced the rails on our Garhauer mount with the CD double-thick rails; my notes are here (the 2nd part of that post). As @Leeward Rail said, I had to cut off the sleeves and replace all the bolts, bushings, and washers (long 316 stainless bolts weren't cheap, but hopefully they'll last awhile). I wish I'd kept better notes on the parts I used for bushings, etc.