Morning at Lopez Is

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Do they have a designated water landing zone? I am sure they would but how is it marked?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Do they have a designated water landing zone? I am sure they would but how is it marked?
Never seen one in there. Very few places have them. Even as busy as some harbors can become (Friday Harbor, Roche Harbor, Ganges Harbor, etc.), the pilot just picks a spot amongst the boats. The only ones that I know that exist include Silva Bay (channel buoys in front of the marina dock) and the north end of Newcastle Channel in Nanaimo. At Newcastle, because of the limited visibility, the pilot activates a flashing light that signals a takeoff or landing as boats head north out of the channel.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Brian. Just stuff it between the boats. Fair bit of shallow with no boats here so it is not so bad take off and land.

Victoria inner harbor has full on designation. One nearby Anchorage AK is even lighted for low vis. And night. Spooky

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Lake Union, downtown Seattle, they must have 50 take offs and landings a day, they just pick a spot between boats, I don't think there has ever been a crash.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Victoria harbor's float plane strip is not only marked. It has a control tower and separate float plane terminal.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Poulsbo has a bouy’d strip. In fact May 1 they have a flyin weekend.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
What a beauty of a morning, Charles. I have more memories of that kind of weather than the gray kind..
This from Fourth of July beach on the south end of San Juan, taken on the 4th of July, '06..
4th Of July Beach.jpg