Morgan 462 Weight

Aug 16, 2022
Morgan 462 South FL
Hello, I have a 1980 Morgan 462 with the genset and a '05 westerbeke 82b four.
I'm trying to get her into a yard next month and the one I would prefer to go to has a 34,000 weight limit. I know the dry weight is listed at 30,000, but I was wondering if anyone has hauled out more recently and knows what their boat weighs with 40 years under her keel and batteries etc on board.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Since you know the sailboat's dry weight SailboatData.com - MORGAN 461/462 Sailboat ...............make a list of all the gear, genset, capacites of diesel (7.3 lb/g), water (8.34 lb/g) and propane (4.1 lb/g), then estimate, use manufacturer's weight specification and add them to the boat's dry weight to arrive at the total weight. You will be relatively close. That is what I do to confirm my trailer is not overloaded.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It sounds like you have a nice boat. Suspect your boat will be near the weight limit you stated.

Do you really desire to take this nice boat to a lift that may be at it's limit?

While there is likely a safety factor built in to the weight limit, the limit may have been set when the equipment was new. All of the engine hard ware was new. How old is the lift?

Has the lift sat out in the marine air 365 days a year?

Could there be any corrosion of the lift parts?

I think I would want to take my boat to a 50,000 lift. We all know the storeies that lifts never fail until they do.

Aug 16, 2022
Morgan 462 South FL
It sounds like you have a nice boat. Suspect your boat will be near the weight limit you stated.

Do you really desire to take this nice boat to a lift that may be at it's limit?

While there is likely a safety factor built in to the weight limit, the limit may have been set when the equipment was new. All of the engine hard ware was new. How old is the lift?

Has the lift sat out in the marine air 365 days a year?

Could there be any corrosion of the lift parts?

I think I would want to take my boat to a 50,000 lift. We all know the storeies that lifts never fail until they do.
Their website says it's a 37 TON lift, so 74000 lbs. I'm not sure why the yard guy said a limit of 34000. I think I'll double check with them and see what the capacity really is... unfortunately do it your self, live-a-board yards are becoming harder and harder to find, and with my draft and mast hight, my options are limited.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Not an answer to your question but just wanted to remark on what a fine sailing vessel you have. My friend had one a few years back and we delivered it from the east cost of Fl. to Tarpon Springs, Fl. a few years back. Had a six and a half foot Scheel (sp?) keel and was a dream to sail, especially in 25 to 35 knot winds. Unfortunately, he had to sell her due to a divorce. Sure miss sailing her. :)