Morgan 38 C/B sheave

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fullkeel904

I'm looking into a 1970 Morgan 38'er c/b model. The owner has had the c/b pinned in the upright position due to the c/b's cable sheave breaking with structural damage. This happen when the yard cranked up the c/b after painting the c/b. Anyone have occasion to make this type of repair? Can you even find the sheave for replacement?

Although this sounds expensive to me, having a centerboard on a boat of this size has it's obvious advantages with it's 3'9" draft(and I live in skinny water Florida). Any advice would be appreciated. Bob

Jan 22, 2008
Morgan 38 yawl Annapolis, MD MD
centerboard fix

My co-owner and I have a Morgan 38' 1971 yawl - and have, among other systems, completely restored our centerboard. We wrote out instructions for removal procedures of the centerboard, fabrication of the centerboard cable and rod, servicing of the winch and sheaves, inspection of the cable, etc. . . . all too long for this posting.

We did not have to replace the sheaves when we aquired the boat - but I suspect that this should be fairly straightforward for a yard to do - and not too expensive. In my opinion, getting the centerboard to work is a must.

I can take a picture of our intact sheaves and e-mail them to you if that would be a help.

You can e-mail me direct at setsail@ix.netcom.com for details as needed.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.