Morgan 34

May 20, 2012
Morgan 34 Chesapeake
I am having a great time "learning the ropes" with my new old 1969 Morgan. I often struggle getting her to come about however. The boat just dies when going through the wind...actually never really gets through.. ..I need to use the engine to power through the turn through wind. What am I doing wrong? Tonight the wife and I were out and made one successful tack in one direction but couldn't tack back again. Maybe currents? We get about a 1 knot current where we are in northern Chesapeake. Hmmm? Any suggestions? Dan

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wind speed? Boat speed?

Perhaps backing the jib before you let her go as you come around would help, too.

Congratulations, nice boat.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
When are you letting go the jib? Don't let go of it until you are right at or after the tack clears of wind on inside of sail.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
...add keep the mainsail sheeted in tight. This helps drive the boat up into the wind. On the Hobie 16 we used to have, you had to sheet the main in as wight as possible in order to get the boat to turn through the wind.

Cheers

Matt

May 20, 2012
Morgan 34 Chesapeake
I always pull the main in tight as I would with a gibe. Then bring her about and release the jib as soon as there is any luff. My sailing buddy here in Chestertown who has many years of sailing is also stumped. He thinks maybe the bottom is fouled or maybe pointing into the wind as far as possible before coming about may help. What exactly is backing the jib?...waiting to release jib when the wind is behind it? I can get around that far.

May 20, 2012
Morgan 34 Chesapeake
By the way the wind speed was about 10 -12 and was into the wind on a close reach. boat speed not sure, probably about 5-6.