Morgan 32

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Looking at 1982 Morgan 32; a little concerned about the chainplate design - anyone know about the integrity/strength of this part of the boat? Not planning on circumnavigation, but don't want to be wondering in a big blow. Any info would be appreciated.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I would have think that if the rig is standing after 32 years that Charlie Morgan got it right. I'd be more concerned about the maintenance/replacement of the standing rigging. When was it last replaced? What is it about the design of the chainplate that has you concerned? A few photos would help us visualize your setup.

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
I would have think that if the rig is standing after 32 years that Charlie Morgan got it right. I'd be more concerned about the maintenance/replacement of the standing rigging. When was it last replaced? What is it about the design of the chainplate that has you concerned? A few photos would help us visualize your setup.
Looks a little light to me - not much hardware holding the standing rigging.

Attachments

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
It's difficult to tell from the photo but It appears that your boat might have a single upper and double lower shrouds. If that is correct, where is the upper shroud chainplate in the photo. The lower shrouds handle lesser loads than the uppers. It appears that the load is distributed across the deck rather than to the hull. If you don't see problems such as stress cracks on the deck or hull to deck joint, I'd think that the design is sound. It does look a bit light by most of today's design standards.

Jan 6, 2010
Ho,

I'm a bit surprised no one posted here yet.

So you don't feel neglected, can you be alittle more specific, I looked online at a 1982 & the Chainplates look similar to my C30. I've been in the "shiz" quite often with no failures.

Chainplates are all about support & attachment both above & below deck. Then there is the integrity of the chainplate, rigging cable & connector ends. I can say this, if this is original rigging, I would change to new rigging & only use 316 SS, not 304 SS.

Yours may be 32+ years old. That's a long time man. Strand cable & swage fittings need to be checked for any discoloration, rust and/or stretch. Personally, swage fittings never gave me a warm fuzzy feelin' to begin with.

CR

Oct 15, 2009
catalina 320 Perry Lake
Unless there has been a history of failures, why change what the designers thought was OK?