Morgan 24 Centerboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2008
morgan 24 bruce peninsula
The centerboard on my Morgan 24 is stuck in the down position. It is not possible to raise it. The wire attached to the centerboard is slack. With the crank it is not possible to tighten the wire and raise the centerboard. I would like to fix this before launching the boat. My guess is that the wire is off a wheel guide or a pin on which it pivots is broken. Any ideas on how to repair the centerboard and find parts is appreciated. Also, the muffler on the Atomic 4 gas engine went out. What is the availability of a replacement muffler. Thanks for the help. Bill

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Parted centerboard pennant most likely cause

On my Tartan 27' the centerboard pennant runs straight up to a double sheave (double pulley - wheel) that connects the wire pennant (that goes to the board) to the line which goes into the cockpit for hauling on to raise or lower the board. Follow the centerboard pennant/line from wherever you work it topside to where it plunges down to the board. The wire line is likely to fail if the runs are not clean to the board, causing chafing and eventual failure. Our wire pennant is protected by a piece of heavy tubing (could use PVC pipe) as it runs by our A4. The spec for the wire pennant on my boat is given as 10' of 1/8 stainless (not sure if this is supposed to be 7 x 19 or 1 x XX) which can be purchased at any decent chandelry. You need to figure out how long a length you need, preferably before purchasing. Also check any sheaves (wheels) in the path of the wire which help route it as they may need fixing or replacing. Hope this helps. As for the water lift muffler check out the Moyer Marine website: http://www.moyermarine.com for everything Atomic 4 related. The Atomic 4 is their specialty. New to you boat?

Apr 19, 2008
morgan 24 bruce peninsula
Center Board for Morgan 24

Thanks for the helpful response. I have had this Morgan since 1967. It has been a wonderful sail boat for cruising the North Channel and delightful day trips. Because of work comittments and low water, it has not been in the water for 10 years. I am getting it all painted up to enjoy this summer. Thank you, again. Bill

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Bruce Peninsula, Ont. looks like a great place for sailing

I have heard that Lake Superior was getting lower but was unaware that Lake Huron was also losing water too. I was also a little surprised that mine was the only reply to your post. There must be other Morgan 24 owners out there. My Tartan 27' is from 1967, the year you got your boat. Was your boat also built in '67?

Oct 19, 2005
Morgan 24 Warner Robins, GA.
Centerboard Cable

Have you found the problem yet with your centerboard cable? There are a couple of turning blocks in the system that the cable may have gotten off track. There is one forward under the cabin sole in line with the bulkhead and there is another that is aft about 2-3 feet aft of the companion way opening. Depending on your M24 there may be another on the port side near the winch. If you need some additional information on your Morgan 24, see my Morgan 24 website. http://members.cox.net/morgan24site Hope this helps. Bob Horan

T

Thom McDonald

M-24 Centerboard

here's my 2 cents worth on the M-24 centerboard I lost my c-board on the delivery cruise from the previous owners dock to my home boat yard. The board had much damage due to neglect and a lifetime in salt water. The bronze mounting blocks were worn to a degree that allowed the board to twist and bind in the trunk. The trunk itself was full of barnacles. The grooved top edge was broken and not guiding the ss cable properly. The edge of the c-board surrounding the pivot pin was damaged and blew out completely when we had a little rock and roll while trying to dock in a quall. The cable was so frayed that it could not support the direct weight of the board and snapped and sank at that dock. When I hauled the boat for work, the board was gone. I recovered it at the dock and made the repairs. My advice is to elevate the boat enough to remove the retaining blocks, lower the board and disconnect the cable. Pull the pennant from the inside and trace the entire system, checking and repairing all the components, including the c-board itself and the blocks and pins. Obviously the problem you speak of could be caused by several things, and putting a band-aid on one thing invites the next thing to fail. You can reach me at mcmacduck@aol.com if you need any more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.