Morgan 24 Centerboard

• Thread starter Gordon from Roswell
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gordon from Roswell

I am the proud new owner of a very well maintained 1969 Morgan 24. Took her out on my maiden voyage today on Lanier. Although the lake was low, the wind and temp was great and we had a blast She is a sweet sailer. One thing I wonder about is the centerboard. I tried letting it down early on in our sail, by unhitching the line that comes out of the cockpit starboard stern, and it didn't seem the line went out much. When we began tacking back in to the marina, my crew pulled the line in, the line came in much further than it had been before, and the boat seem to sail better--up into the wind better. It certainly did not sail any worse. I thought the centerboard was supposed to help you sail up into the wind better--but I am a total novice sailer. Anyhow, the centerboard line is now all the way in and will stay that way until I figure out if I even need it. Anybody care to explain this to a greenhorn like me, I would appreciate it. All in all though, I love this boat, it is such a stable, good tracking big old tank, I am glad I got it. thanks, Gordon

G

Gordon

Stepping Mast on the 24

Thanks, Bob. Yes, I have checked yor website before. I think you are the world's only Morgan 24 site. Ok, a couple more questions, then, if you don't mind. How hard is it to step the mast on these boats? My mast step has several flush flathead screws going into a black metal or fiberglass looking plate, which is also flush with the cabin top. In the cabin, i cannot see any bolts or any screws coming thru. The broker I got the boat from has offered to step the mast and re-commission everything when they move it up to the lake where I will sail it, but am wondering how hard it would be to do it yourself. I have a little O'day 17 footer that is a piece of cake, but this Morgan looks like if you screw up those screws, you are in for a lot of headaches. thanks, Gordon

Oct 19, 2005
Morgan 24 Warner Robins, GA.
Stepping the Mast on the M24

Gordon, Each of my M24s came with a different mast step. The 68 came with an aluminum one that allowed the mast to hinge on a pin then after it was up, a second pin was put in the front of the step. Both of the brackets for the pins were broken. I went to Dwyer Mast Co. website and found a bracket that I could alter to make it work with old aluminum base. See my website to see a picture of it under My Morgans. On my 66, the mast step was just a plate that required the mast to be stepped at a boat yard with a crane. I replaced the plate with a mast hinge assembly from Dwyer Mast Co. that was pretty heavy duty and allows me to raise the mast while on the trailer. The key to raising the mast by yourself is to get hinged mast step and to use a gin pole or an A Frame system. I use the gin pole with a bridle that keeps the gin pole perpendicular and the mast from swinging as it goes up. There is an article on it on my website. My system allows me to raise the mast by myself unassisted so I can launch either of my M24s anywhere my truck and trailer can take me. Maybe we could get together and you could see how I raise the mast and you could modify your M24 to make raising the mast a one person operation.

G

gordon

Mast on M24

thanks, Bob. Yes, i definitely have the non-hinged variety and will have to get it changed out someday. I may have to take yu up on a visit to see how you rigged your mast step system with the gin pole. Where are you located? Down in Warner-Robbins? I noticed from your site you won one of the awards for the best kept Morgan in one of the rally's down in Florida. Pretty cool. Well, there is still enough water for me to go sail in Lanier this weekend. And I am stilllearning to handle this little boat. talk to you later, gordon

G

Gordon

Morgan 24 Trailer

Hey Bob--hope you are doing well. Well, I haven't taken the boat out for awhile, it has been awful cold up toward Atlanta. Anyhow, I have been looking at your trailer specs on your website, and I am wondering if you have any contacts down that way who you know might be able to make me one. I have seen your trailer on your web, plus one other of exact same make on the Morgan 24 owner's site (the trailer for Summer of Love). I know I will pay 4 grand for some sailboat trailer manufacturer to make me one. Just wonering if you have any welding contacts or what not. thanks, and take care, Gordon

Oct 19, 2005
Making a trailer for an M24

I did have some work done by a semi-professional a couple of years ago. He put on new springs, axles and fenders for $900. He does custom trailers but they would not be galvanized. I am not sure how much to build from scratch, but I could check and get back with you on that in a couple of weeks. Not sure I would want to post recomendations with the business listed on this forum but I could on a seperate e-mail. Send me something on an e-mail from my website and I will try to get you an estimate.

D

daniel

Morgan info request

Know this sounds like a crazy request but could you please tell me if your 1969 Morgan 24 has the hull number written on the inside wall of the stern on either side? I own a 1969 Morgan 22 and you are the first current active website forum I have found to possibly get an answer from on a somewhat similar boat under the same manufacturer.. If it does , does your registration begin with 24 and then a letter and then some numbers that match the sail numbering.. I have run into some title problems and am trying to get it straightened out. Fla. assigned it a state number on the title as it was a seized boat if the seller is on the level and I believe he is. There is a foulup somewhere and it is driving me nuts. Also , does anyone know when they started putting the hull number on watercraft on the outside of the hull on a metal tag. re: Lake Lanier- we used to camp on some of those islands out in it when I was in high school. It is a shame about the water level and all...

Oct 19, 2005
The hull numbers on Morgan Sailboats

Daniel, I will try to answer your questions. I believe it was sometime in 1972 that hull numbers were required to added to the stern of all vessels that were manufactured. Your Morgan is a 1969 and would therefore not have the hull number there. The actual 3 digit hull number can be found sometimes in these locations. Insite the hull, fiberglased over on the starboard side opposite the rudder post. If the hull has been painted it will be hard to find. Other places to look are under and unside the V berth and other partitions/bulkheads that were required to make the bunks and galley. These were mostly felt pen writing helping the assemblers fit the parts to the right boat as they were being assembled at Morgan Yacht Corp. If those cubby holes and storage areas have been painted, then those marks would be very difficult to find. That is as much as I have been able to learn from some of the many Morgan Owners I have met. Hope that helps. My 1968 Morgan 24 ( hull number 151) also has a Florida assigned hull number on the stern and it starts with FL........ Bob Horan "Linda Jean"

D

daniel

trailer for Morgan 24

Hey, . I have a Morgan 250 classic 1976 # 34, (think it might be the last M24 built)that i have restored. I got a very nice trailer with the purchase, so that isn't an issue for me. Two buddies from the sail club (Chattahoochee Sailing Club near Columbus) build trailers, Sailtrailers.com, very reasonable, paint or galvanized. They can set you up. My issue is mast raising by oneself. The mast on the m24 is too heavy to just push up, as i did with my last boat, a Catalina 22, so i am still exploring the best way to raise my mast. Any advice is appreciated. Dan DVsails@aol.com

Oct 19, 2005
Mast raising on my website

You can check out my website and will find an article on mast raising using a gin pole.

D

Daniel Voss

thanks Bob Horan

Thanks for the response to my question about mast raising Bob. Used my spinnaker pole to lower mast by myself, and it worked great... no strain at all. I will have to get an attachment for the pole at the base of the mast. The tension changed thru the arc of the pole when I used the end of the pole mast track, which ends a couple foot off the deck, but used nylon rope for the pole shrouds, so it stretch enough to prevent problems. Now no problem single handed trailering... yay.

D

Daniel Voss

centerboard control

hey Gordon, I don't know of the control system that you have. It sounds like some alteration done by a previous owner. The original system to raise and lower the very light, fiberglass, centerboard was a small winch on the starboard cockpit side near the tiller head that you inserted a crank to raise, and pushed a release lever to lower. This operated the steel cable that led thru a couple of blocks under deck to a piston under the cabin sole. lots of friction and tending to be sticky. Dan

V

Van Ness Tanner

I have recently sold my Morgan 24 (with an inboard diesel) to an individual who has become a friend. I need to replace the board. The board is fiberglass with a steel core and water has gotten to the core causing the core to expand. The board sticks and even though I had previously sanded the exterior rather vigorously and raked out the trunk, the damn thing still sticks. I thinking of suggesting that the new owner builds a new board out of steel with no glass.

The boat was a real joy to own. I sailed and motor sailed it from Melbourne, FL to the Bay St Louis with a friend over three weeks. We were comfortable and remain friends. I had redone the interior with a new stove and manual water and the boat was adequate to the test of time. I have won a number of races at the club level and after stumbling across a pair of Barient 22 two speeds for a hundred dollars, have REALLY enjoyed single handing the boat.

Back to the centerboard, does any one have a source for a replacement? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.