More sail drive questions and woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2011
Hi all, I'm elbow deep in replacing sail drive seals and have hit a snag that has us stumped. After you remove the cone, ring and anode there is a part held on by two large hex bolts. After a lot of grunt work those have been removed but the part itself won't budge. It has definitely been painted on but the hold seems real strong. Does this piece pop off under normal circumstances?

Items of note there hasn't been a single o ring or locking washer to be found. That worried me. This area appears to have been neglected in recent years if the state of things is being interpreted accurately.

Any idea on the stuck part? It is the one the anode screws into.

Thanks, SC

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
is that a volvo sail drive I pulled one apart and it came apart work ya way around joint pryin an tappin

Sep 6, 2011
It is a Volvo saildrive 110s. The more time on google I spend it looks like they used a permatex liquid seal/adhesive. I'm reluctant to pull out the BFH until all other options exhausted. 5 hours today to remove two nuts and fighting this housing. It's a frustrating thing for something so simple. SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Don't feel bad.. I can't get two heads off of two cylinders... Do I get the BFC out?

Sep 6, 2011
Mark Maulden said:
Don't feel bad.. I can't get two heads off of two cylinders... Do I get the BFC out?
Good question. I did find a shop manual of sorts. I'm not sure it's complete but it is more than we had when we started this adventure. Oddly they don't address this topic well. SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
find a decent Volvo shop and ask. A lot of em don't know the older stuff but with parts availability/cost, I slow down and ask questions. You can try Coastal Marine in Seattle. They've been pretty helpful to me at times....

Sep 6, 2011
Ugh

Oh I have. I have talked to a dozen or more places around the country today alone looking for a key part that helps you remove the shaft. I haven't been able to find one or a shop that does either (locally). Most of the rest I can improvise but that $30 part has me stumped. One guy said I don't have it to sell but ship me the drive...! Um no. The part in question is 884611. If ANYONE knows of a substitute or even specs to have one made I'd appreciate it.
SC

Sep 6, 2011
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Another source would be French Creek Marina. I think they are in NY somewhere and deal a lot of used Volvo stuff..

Sep 6, 2011
Mark Maulden said:
Another source would be French Creek Marina. I think they are in NY somewhere and deal a lot of used Volvo stuff..
Yes I spoke to them this afternoon. He hadn't ever seen that part. He did tell me I could ship the lower unit and they'd fix it since they probably have the part in the shop. That would be a last resort. Someone out there either has this part in a basement or handy they could offer a photo and measurements.

SC

Sep 6, 2011
Marine parts express either. It is a nut if sorts but I call that type of thing a sleeve. It goes over the shaft and connects to the bearing housing (the piece the anode scores to) and then it it slide hammered out. I have spoken to many places on the east coast and Great Lakes areas. 7 solid hours of calls. No one knows of an acceptable substitute either. There are a lot of 110s out there so I'm sure I have missed it somewhere. SC

Sep 6, 2011
That is a good idea Mark, thanks! I have a few phone calls left and I will have to take another route. I'll report back regardless since I'm sure someone will need this info some day. SC

Sep 6, 2011
The Volvo s-drive saildrive 110s shop manual

In case anyone else down the road needs this here is the workshop manual for the 110s saildrive. It was tough to find but I got lucky. SC

Attachments

Sep 6, 2011
Finally with help from determined friends the bearing housing came out with the aid of a dead blow hammer and propane torch. What a mess when it let go. Glad the oil pan was in place!

The shaft threaded end is 16mm with 2.0 pitch for future reference. Replacing seals commences soon. Oh and it was gear oil. Argh. SC

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
sailcruiser said:
In case anyone else down the road needs this here is the workshop manual for the 110s saildrive. It was tough to find but I got lucky. SC
Is this in a PDF file? Don't see the access to it on my iPad on the forum, am I missing something?

Sep 6, 2011
Yes!

Is this in a PDF file? Don't see the access to it on my iPad on the forum, am I missing something?
It is a PDF file. If you can't see it send me a PM with an email address and I'll send it along. I'd like to really get it out there for anyone to find because I struggled for a long time before I got my hands on it.
SC

Status
Not open for further replies.