More on Maine Sail

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
@Phil Herring - Did he mention anything about getting his boat out of the water and/or winterized? It has to be getting cold up there by now. Does he have friends or family working on that? Does he need the help of our community on that front as well?
So being in this neck of the woods I reached out to inquire about winterizing the boat. The boat went on the market and may in fact have sold. I believe Rodd came to the realization that his sailing days were over. A very dear friend and boat Club friend of mine suffered a CVA in May of 2020 just as he was prepping to launch. He was also an instructor pilot. Had to sell his plane, boat and house. With increased age, comes a decrease in positive outcomes following CVA's .

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Donated! Get well soon Rodd. He has done so much to support the sailing and boating communities, now its our turn to help him!

Sep 11, 2021
CAL 34 CAL 34 Fortman Marina
According to the GoFundMe website, they take 2.9% + $.30 of each donation to benefit individuals. I could not find another donation site that doesn't charge considerably more.

--Peggie
Peggy, I agree, Go Fund Me is covering their costs and they are better and more reliable than some others I've used in the past. Simple to set up as well: Create a GoFundMe

Goobs

May 8, 2020
Catalina 30 30 TR Bridgeport
Im happy to donate, but in general I don't do Gofundme, etc unless I have some information on the exact needs. How good is the insurance coverage? How will the donations be used? , etc. Ive seen alot of wealthy people ask for money on Gofund me that really didnt need it. Although I think in Rodd's case its probably justified even just for the information and education hes shared with everyone over the years.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Im happy to donate, but in general I don't do Gofundme, etc unless I have some information on the exact needs. How good is the insurance coverage? How will the donations be used? , etc. Ive seen alot of wealthy people ask for money on Gofund me that really didnt need it. Although I think in Rodd's case its probably justified even just for the information and education hes shared with everyone over the years.
Geez. Is there a "don't like" on this board?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've made a donation via his website.
I would like to know what forum members consider an adequate donation as I am at sea about this. I know it's a sticky subject since we come from very different economic circumstances. But some guidance would be helpful. I know he's got great challenges ahead but I doubt any one of us can remove those. Together we should be able to help to a significant degree.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I've made a donation via his website.
I would like to know what forum members consider an adequate donation as I am at sea about this. I know it's a sticky subject since we come from very different economic circumstances. But some guidance would be helpful. I know he's got great challenges ahead but I doubt any one of us can remove those. Together we should be able to help to a significant degree.
I did $50

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Brave of you to put a number on it. I did the same. Thank you!
I think what would be useful is to set a goal based on the need, with an eye towards what is feasible. And then use fundraising techniques to try to get there. Of Course, someone would have to track the progress which may just be an additional strain on the family. That may be where a gofundme type route may be useful. Other sites on which Maine Sail has posted should also be brought in.
There's the whole issue of whether or not the Compass Marine Website can go forward. Maybe that needs to be a subscription situation. And maybe joined and promoted by all of us. There could be a one time payment to have access to just the past information. That has value. That's just a few ideas.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've also donated. I feel it is a very worthy cause and Rod certainly helped me out multiple times and his work will continue to aid my boating life...

dj

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Other sites on which Maine Sail has posted should also be brought in.
AMEN!!! I'll be glad to spread the word if someone can provide me with a list. Perhaps his brother can pull that info from his website.

Of Course, someone would have to track the progress which may just be an additional strain on the family. That may be where a gofundme type route may be useful. Other sites on which Maine Sail has posted should also be brought in.
I agree.

And obtw...I have donated.

--Peggie

Feb 4, 2017
Monterey Cruisert 254 Punat (HR)
I just read about Rodd's misfortune today. It remembered me of the ton of things I learned from hist website and postings. Just donated as I realized he saved me a lot of money sharing his knowledge.