More for the fail file

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 35 and Mariner 2+2 Alexandria, VA
Got a call today about an engine that was "surging" One quick look at the alternator regulator (a balmar 614) and I saw it was power cycling. I thought it was a bad fuse connection...nope. This is what happens when the lug hole is too big for the post. The top cable is the alternator end of the lead from the to the house battery bank (2 ga. wiring for 4 feet.) unfortunately it was a 1/4' post that the 1/2' lug was over. The bottom was the lead to the balmar regulator. It was essentially welded into the hole of the other lug.
According to the owner, he installed this only 6 months ago! Every time the alternator vibrated (which is, I don't know...ALWAYS) it would cycle power to the regulator and unload then re-load the engine. I don't have a photo to show it, but the alternator end of the cable was absolutely stiff from heat degradation.

As a bonus. I decided to check the rest of his cabling. The second photo is what his "hydraulic crimp" looked like with a harbor freight crimp tool. I pulled the cable out of the fitting with a mere wiggle. I will be back on his boat this weekend to see what else we can uncover.

Attachments