More batteries on a 376

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Has anyone added extra batteries on a Hunter 376. I would like to increase my battery bank from the two to three or four. I haven't found a spot to install them that seems to work. Suggestions please.

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
I've just added a battery box and fitted a 3rd 100a battery on my 356. Fitted in behind the built in box in the port lazeret. Only needed 3ft of cable to connect to thé battery + fuse. And about 1foot to connect thé negative in parallel with thé other batteries. Purists will say that i've added weight on the port side....

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
How about a 100 pound winch that would serve you better? Hard working, tough as nails, never complains, always comes back for more, not beer.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well yes Terry that would be an idea. Trouble is he’d eventually need two and then we’d be back where he started. 100lb heavy to Port.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Has anyone added extra batteries on a Hunter 376.
Hi Randy, curious. What do you have now in terms of total amp hours and why do you need more? Our boat has a house bank of two 8Ds giving us about 250 AH of usable power. That usually will last us two days on the hook with both reefers on and other stuff. At that point I run the generator for about 1.5 hours to top off the house bank, heat water and some cooking. This is our routine during a typical two month cruise where we spend most of our time on the hook.

No way our 80 AH alternator can add enough back to make much of difference, since we try and sail as much as we can. Adding more batteries will give you more AH capacity, but what happens when those need to be recharged? Solar panels help as does a wind generator, or a diesel operated generator like what we have.

It would also help to know what kind of AH draw you have and what plans you have to replenish when needed. Depending upon your cruising style and AH draw will help to determine the most workable and viable solution.

Dec 14, 2018
Terry, we have2 group 31s and rage refrigerator and a few lights give a load of 6+ amps, a short motor run I don't feel is enough charge to sublime the 110 amps usable for a night on the hook and the next day. We are coastal sailors and will rarely be out two nights. I prefer Sailing bar to bar over long voyages.
The space under the port settee is pretty full , a starting battery, two 31 and a battery charger unit. Might could squeeze in one more 31 but would like to have four. Total. Hunter decided this area into three compartments.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Randy... It is not the "Group 31" but the type of Group 31 you have.

Not all are created equal. Approximate size of a Group 31 - 12.90 x 6.75 x 9.25 inches. Often not a true Deep Cycle battery. The typical Amp Hour capacity between 100 - 110. Capacity is determined not by Group size but internal construction.

A group 30 - 12 7/8" x 6 3/4" x 9 3/4" made by Dyno is a true Deep cycle with Amp Hour capacity of 135 Amp Hours.

Dec 14, 2018
I have 2 Duracell deepcycle 110 amp. They seem to hold up well but I want more amps to add an inverter for tv and small loads

Nov 24, 2018
Hunter 376 Medora, ND
I have 4x Battleborn 12V 100Ah batteries (so basically 400Ah usable) stuck in what I believe to be the factory battery compartment, under the forward third of the port couch. I don't think it would be possible to fit that many if you need a battery box (lead-acid non-sealed). And I also fit a board with breakers, bus bars, a fuse, and a shunt in the far port side of that compartment (against the hull).

Dec 28, 2019
Hunter 37.5 Kemah
i am installing (eventually) two banks on each side in the lazarettes. i am going lithium iron phosphate to keep the wight down. i had 2 lead acid on the starboard side to begin with.