Moorings, Tortola BVI

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
My boat would have been in that mess. We took it out of service in February and sailed it to Florida. Now it's a waiting game to see where Irma is going to hit to see if we have any damage.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Can't imagine what that would have been like to witness. Those big cats pitch-poling. And, the noise must have been horrendous.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
Sailing Illustrated.com has the before and after photos. Even though it's just boats, it's still heart wrenching to see. We also should remember that the folks that work there have homes and families that are impacted. Prayers and thoughts that they all made it thru ok.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It looks as though there won't be a lot of charters in the VI for at least a year, maybe two.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Joey, you were blessed that you moved your boat when you did. Let's hope you don't get hammered in Florida now!
Joey and I are in the same marina on the west coast. We both stripped our boats. Can't say the same for a lot of others. That just puts everyone else in danger. Fortunately, we are fairly sheltered. Looks like rain and wind out of the east and north. That will blow the water out. We don't need another flood. Who does, right? Godspeed to those in the Keys and on the east coast.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My sailing club (SOS) is supposed to charter out of Moorings/BVI in February. Maybe not. Perhaps a special on Kon-Tiki rafts?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Going to be a windfall and lots of backorders for the boat builders and mast makers, I suspect.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I'm amazed looking at these pictures of the number of cats flipped over. Would be a tremendous amount of force to do that.

That is not to take away from the sheer devastation of peoples homes and lives.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
I heard reports of 200+ MPH winds recorded in that area before the equipment failed. I'm not surprised to see flipped Cats. Once that kind of wind gets underneath between the hulls, it's like a big wing.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That's the old Moorings affiliated hotel missing a roof on the linked photos. Massive damage in Road Town.
Anything from Virgin Gorda, they have a working yard where boats would have been hauled.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That picture looks like Hurricane Hole where the charter companies take the boats to get them out of harms way. With a Cat 5 storm I guess that was not enough.