Mooring setup cost….

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So have just got approved for a mooring in a new harbor. Town fee is very reasonable at $100 but then I have to purchase my own mooring setup….. pyramid style, 1,000lbs in about 25 feet of water. Got a quote from one of the designated marinas in The harbor of around $10,000. Seems absurdly high. My current setup with an 800lb mushroom in 25 feet of water was less than $2,000. I was thinking around the $2,500 range.

Greg

• Wow
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I hope that includes installation and insurance. That price is about 2 years of slip fees in Seattle proper. I thought one moored the boat to mitigate the costs of slip fees.

Then there is the cool feeling of seeing your boat swinging at mooring in a picturesque New England Harbor.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So have just got approved for a mooring in a new harbor. Town fee is very reasonable at $100 but then I have to purchase my own mooring setup….. pyramid style, 1,000lbs in about 25 feet of water. Got a quote from one of the designated marinas in The harbor of around $10,000. Seems absurdly high. My current setup with an 800lb mushroom in 25 feet of water was less than $2,000. I was thinking around the $2,500 range.

Greg
For just the materials, mooring block, chain, ball, and pendant, the $3,000 range is probably pretty accurate. Based on the prices at Hamiton Marine for concrete mooring blocks, around $1k seems about the right price. However, a 500# cast iron pyramid mooring from Defender is a little over $1K, ½" chain is about $9/ft, ⅝" about 12.50/ foot, a couple of hundred for the ball.

The big cost is taking the barge or workboat out and siting the mooring and dropping it in. And, things ain't cheap in the NY Metro area.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Its a fabulous harbor and yes the view and access to great sailing grounds would be perfect. Didn't ask if the price included installation..... I was numb when I heard the cost. $10,000 is a huge number. This was going to be a secondary home for when I'm out east if I needed a safe hook-up..... a convenience thing. Didn't think the setup would be so high. Figure for the little time I would be on it, I could rent moorings if needed instead and be way ahead of that game.

Greg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
For just the materials, mooring block, chain, ball, and pendant, the $3,000 range is probably pretty accurate. Based on the prices at Hamiton Marine for concrete mooring blocks, around $1k seems about the right price. However, a 500# cast iron pyramid mooring from Defender is a little over $1K, ½" chain is about $9/ft, ⅝" about 12.50/ foot, a couple of hundred for the ball.

The big cost is taking the barge or workboat out and siting the mooring and dropping it in. And, things ain't cheap in the NY Metro area.
Where I am here in Mount Sinai, the cost to drop and pull annually is about $350 total if I remember. This harbor is out east in Ct.

Greg

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
The cost in port jeff for a used 500# setup is under $1000. Even if it included launch service, that's insane.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
I have a friend that just put in a very large, #10,000 granite block in my area (Portsmouth, NH) in deep water. His cost for all materials, installed was in that ballpark. I think that your quoted price might be a little high for a mooring that small, but not terribly high. A #5,000 concrete block runs around $5,000 here, then there's also chain, mooring, and labor.

Consider calling around to different service companies to get competing quotes.

If you know a diver that can run lift bags, you may be able to get a serious discount by hiring him/her to do the labor and working directly with a concrete/precast concrete plant for the block. Plants will make waste blocks all the time with excess concrete. Anything they get for the block is return on what is already waste. You might be able to work a deal out with the plant to throw a steel loop in the waste block for a connection point, which is common practice anyway since they need to move it around somehow.

Moving the block and launching it could take some creativity. Around here (8 FT tides), a local service would launch the block at low tide, then float it at high tide, tow it, and descend it with divers and lift bags.

Last edited: