Mooring Buoy Failure?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
SO the conclusion seems to bear out thae guidance that the pendant length should be 2 to 2 1/2 times the freeboard height (at the chocks) where the multiplier (2 or 2 1/2) is the same multiplier used to determine the scope of the chain.
Yes, basically as long as the pendant length is the same or smaller multiplier of freeboard as the scope of the chain, you should be ok. Just don't want the pendant to be a higher scope than the chain, or the ball could submerge. The washer mentioned above is probably still helpful though because incoming waves are still going to hit the ball and try to push it around.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Why are you calculating penant length to avoid submerging the bouy in storm force winds Why does that even matter?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Why are you calculating penant length to avoid submerging the bouy in storm force winds Why does that even matter?
If the ball failure was caused by the ball being pulled underwater by its chain, then keeping the ball from submerging should help.

Jun 14, 2010
If the ball failure was caused by the ball being pulled underwater by its chain, then keeping the ball from submerging should help.
I don't think a ball should fail by being pulled under. I think it failed due to improper installation, and shortening the pennant would reduce the shock absorption and increase shock loads, and also sharpen the angle of pull at deck chocks or cleat attachment points; together that might possibly induce failure elsewhere by in storm size waves.

Jun 14, 2010
This particular style buoy (or something like it) has put boats on the rocks or beach if the penant is attached at the top of the ball. Traditional Sur- Moor Mooring Buoy - Taylor Made Products

The problem is that the rod inside corrodes and the corrosion is invisible until the rod lets go in a storm. :( I’ve seen it first hand.
FYI - Interesting image on that reference site - this confirms that the failure I had seen was due to improper use.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
In a strong blow I don't think it would take 1:1 for a boat to submerge a mooring. I think it would be expected even at 2:1 if the boat is pulling hard enough.
With good scope and high wind/waves this is typically what will happen...