Mooring Buoy - annual cost

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Here is some background: Our club has about 14 mooring buoys that are leased to club members on an annual basis. They are considering a large increase in annual mooring lease rate. I won't go into the details as to why and how much. I searched the forums and couldn't find this kind of info so I'm asking if you are on a mooring, (club, commercial, or municipal) please fill in the info requested below. If you set and maintain your own mooring it won't help me much so I won't neet that info. If you would please use the format provided so I can easily extract the info:

Mooring location: Actual City or County and State
Mooring type: Club/Commercial/Municipal provided mooring
Mooring Cost: $ Annual or $ Monthly
Number of months if Monthly: ___ per year
Do they provide a tender or water taxi?: Yes/No
How often to they inspect? ____ times per year
How often do they replace tackle?: when needed or every X years
Do you have to vacate if hurricane?: Yes/No
Special notes or considerations: (Things like On a lake, on ICW, Near tourist area, Only show in town, long waiting list for moorings etc)

I apologize for the request for a specific format but if it gets too rambling I can't extract the info easily. Thanks in advance. If this info is already somewhere in the forums and I missed it please direct me there.

You can PM me if you have any relevant input that you would like to make.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I own 2 moorings at opposite ends of the state in CT and would answer in your format, but I don’t see how CT costs are related to SC costs. In my case I purchased the ground tackle, hired someone to set and maintain, and pay a permit fee to the towns. Different market and different circumstances. Please explain your strategy for making such information relevant to your club pricing policy.
They know their costs, and policy will decide what they charge.

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
Mooring location: City or County and State-------- northport ny
Mooring type: Club/Commercial/Municipal provided mooring----------commercial
Mooring Cost: $ Annual or $ Monthly--------------- 1760 season for 200 lbs mushroom
Number of months if Monthly: ___ per year-------------april to october 31
Do they provide a tender or water taxi?: Yes/No-----------yes
How often to they inspect? ____ times per month-----------drop fresh every season
How often do they replace tackle?: when needed or every X years--------every season new pennants
Do you have to vacate if hurricane?: Yes/No--------- no
Special notes or considerations:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I own 2 moorings at opposite ends of the state in CT and would answer in your format, but I don’t see how CT costs are related to SC costs. In my case I purchased the ground tackle, hired someone to set and maintain, and pay a permit fee to the towns. Different market and different circumstances. Please explain your strategy for making such information relevant to your club pricing policy.
They know their costs, and policy will decide what they charge.
Larry, I understand all that. If you placed and maintain your own mooring it won't help me much. There is info to be gained and I know that there are apples and oranges in these comparisons but I believe there is still useful info that can be ascertained from questions. For instance, I know the size of the boat and the size of the mooring anchor, expected weather conditions (lake or on the ocean subjec to hurricanes) etc. in addition to the location, etc have a lot of influence. That is why that question is there. Thanks anyway

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Here is some background: Our club has about 14 mooring buoys that are leased to club members on an annual basis. They are considering a large increase in annual mooring lease rate. I won't go into the details as to why and how much. I searched the forums and couldn't find this kind of info so I'm asking if you are on a mooring, (club, commercial, or municipal) please fill in the info requested below. If you set and maintain your own mooring it won't help me much so I won't neet that info. If you would please use the format provided so I can easily extract the info:

Mooring location: Actual City or County and State Rockport, Maine.
Mooring type: Club/Commercial/Municipal provided mooring Municipal
Mooring Cost: $ Annual or $ Monthly $100 annual fee
Number of months if Monthly: ___ per year 6 months or more
Do they provide a tender or water taxi?: Yes/No No
How often to they inspect? ____ times per year Owner must inspect annually, provide proof from independent contractor.
How often do they replace tackle?: when needed or every X years When needed
Do you have to vacate if hurricane?: Yes/No No
Special notes or considerations: (Things like On a lake, on ICW, Near tourist area, Only show in town, long waiting list for moorings etc)

Mooring tackle is owned by boat owners.

I apologize for the request for a specific format but if it gets too rambling I can't extract the info easily. Thanks in advance. If this info is already somewhere in the forums and I missed it please direct me there.

You can PM me if you have any relevant input that you would like to make.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Since this is your club, have you read the minutes of Board meetings for the decision and background information?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Mooring location: City or County and State-------- East Greenwich, RI
Mooring type: Club/Commercial/Municipal provided mooring----------commercial
Mooring Cost: $ Annual or $ Monthly--------------- 2900 season for 800 lbs mushroom
Number of months if Monthly: ___ per year-------------april 1 to october 31
Do they provide a tender or water taxi?: Yes/No-----------yes
How often to they inspect? ____ times per month-----------Every other year I think
How often do they replace tackle?: when needed or every X years--------every season new pennants
Do you have to vacate if hurricane?: Yes/No--------- Not sure. I would, regardless.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Since this is your club, have you read the minutes of Board meetings for the decision and background information?
Yes I have, but unfortunately there is scant info except to establish the price to be charged based on a fairly high % of what it costs for a mooring at the local marina, which kind of defeats the concept of it being a club where we pay dues. Other amenities are free as part of the dues (swimming pool, tennis courts, etc.) event though these also have capital outlays with ongoing maintenance cost. I won't go into some of the details but the moorings have not been maintained as they should have been (see my Dodged a Bullet post). So they (the board) has agreed to form a committee to discuss the appropriate lease fee (club members only can lease a mooring) and I'm trying to get some comparative information just for background. I'm not advocating that mooring should be free but appropriately priced. The question is what is "appropriately" priced?

Jun 14, 2010
The question is what is "appropriately" priced?
And that question gets political. If there's a large segment of the club using moorings, your best bet might be to organize them and create a unified position. Sometimes even a vocal minority can get things pushed through. Have you read the club's constitution and are you willing to get involved in club politics?
Also, is there any reason you can't pay a contractor to drop your own mooring at the edge of the cub mooring field, and keep a dinghy at their dock?

Jun 14, 2010
I just ran the following Google search: ""club MOORING AGREEMENT"
Many clubs have it publicly viewable. Many clubs don't own the mooring, but require the members to meet certain installation specifications, and show proof of 3rd party inspections every x years contract with an approved contractor.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Mooring location: Port Jefferson, NY
Mooring type: Commercial
Mooring Cost: $ Annual around $1050 including permit. 500# $0.50/lb each way to drop and remove, $45 storage + tax and hardware fixes.
Number of months if Monthly: seasonal 7 months
Do they provide a tender or water taxi?: No
How often to they inspect? 1 times per year
How often do they replace tackle?: when needed
Do you have to vacate if hurricane?: No
Special notes or considerations: busy harbor, only installer in town, 18 Club moorings for transients $55/night up to 500#. $60 for 600#