Moon Chase Regatta

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Ready to head out for my first long distance pursuit race. It is from Boston to Gloucester — 40 nm.

My Capri 22 is the slowest and smallest boat but the weather looks delightful. I expect it will be close to dawn when we cross the finish line. My only crew member works second shift so he will be plenty awake if I need to nap. Times are based on PHRF of 180 starting at 18:00 — my Capri is rated at 228 JAM with a start time of "minus 32 minutes" - so we cross the start line at 5:28 PM...

www.regattaman.com/races/2014_Constitut ... se_NOR.pdf

Jan 22, 2008
Re: Moon Chase Regatta - after a good night's rest

An overnight regatta is an exciting adventure. We treated as such. For both of us, it was the first distance sail at night. We were both comfortable with the task ahead of us. I was hoping that the winds would be on the lighter side (5 to 10 knots) but didn't expect the wind to be under 2 knots.

We found each of the marks easily using compass headings and GPS. I do need to connect the compass backlight. It was the first time I have needed it. I did get a larger GPS (Garmin echoMAP 70dv) which was a great improvement over my little handheld Garmin.

We were one of two JAM class boats out. A Catalina 30 ("Iphigenia") was the other. We stayed together until just before the second mark. I was feeling nauseous (a side effect of a new medication I started on Monday - felt much better after "feeding the fish") and didn't trim the sails as much. The slowest of the Spinnaker boats (SABRE 28-2 Ketch) was also with us. It had the same PHRF (207 — my Capri 22 is rated at 228) rating with the spinnaker as the Catalina 30 did with Jib and Main only.

I was surprised not to see any of the faster boats begin to catch up to us by the second mark. I didn't even see many sails behind us although the sun was interfering.

About 22:40 the captain of "Iphigenia" came by us and let us know they were withdrawing and there were only 1 or 2 other boats still out. We decided to withdraw, too. The captain also runs the Boston SeaTow franchise. He was concerned that my electric motor setup might not be enough to get me back (we motored at 5 knots to the start line - about 45 minutes) but still had several hours left if we motor sailed at 3 knots. We were 12 nm out so it was a 4 hour return. But that was faster than sailing. We returned to the dock at 3 am with plenty of reserve.

SUMMARY OF THE EVENT

Although we did not finish the race, we went out and stayed out longer than most of the others (most boats were the more competitive ones in the area).

The low winds did allow us to test several things on the boat and ourselves.
• The new (last season) Ullman sails (main with full battens and 135% foresail) kept us close to a Catalina 30 with and experienced crew. The loose footed main sail allowed me to shape the sail for the low winds.
• The quick pin for the Boom kicker started coming out with the flapping in the low winds. Quick pins should not be used. A few years ago, the quick pin used in the forestay came out. Quick pins need to be checked very frequently for safety.
• Compass backlight needs to be connected.
• The 7 inch GPS screen was much better to use especially for us with "maturing eyes".
• The electric Torqeedo and 210 amp-hour battery system does give me the speed and range needed for most situations. It will go "fast" for up to two hours or it will go at slower speeds for up to 16 hours. It could have motored up to Gloucester and back at 2-3 knots. The "house" electronics use a separate Group 24 deep discharge battery.
• Proved the older Tiller Pilot (TP100) that came with the Ranger 29 works very well. Since we were sailing double handed, it was allowed in this race. But we did not use it while sailing - just on the motoring back.

Oh yes. I am looking forward to next year's Moon Chase! (Matt - you are welcome to join us.)
It was a great adventure and gave us the confidence to do more...

ENTREES:
13 boats signed up: 3 JAM and 10 Spinnaker
Only 1 boat completed the course within the allotted time (Race ended at 10:00 AM Saturday).
Most did not start. The others withdrew after reaching the second mark and the predicted wind did not arrive at 10 PM.

CONDITIONS:
First Gun Time: 18:00:00
Race Conditions: Gorgeous for a booze cruise (quoted from the official site)

WIND (Sailflow):
2-5 knots predicted
0-2 knots actual

COURSE (using Government marks - Mass Bay Sailing Association):
Calculated times assuming an average speed of 4 knots using official start time of 17:28
Total race time should be 10 hours making our finish about 03:30 Saturday morning.

The course was altered slightly early on Friday moving the start location just a bit north and out of the shipping channel.
No race committee boat was on site - all reporting is done on the honor system.

TABLE OF COURSE
MARK Leg Dist Total Dist Leg Time Calculate Actual ave (kts)
START 0.0 0.0 0:00 17:28 17:52 start
Mark 1 1.5 1.5 0:22 17:50 18.35 2.5
Mark 2 5.5 7.0 1:22 19:12 21:05 1.8
Mark 3 12.8 19.8 3:13 22:25 (04:45) 1.7 (withdrew at 22:45 two nm from Mark #2)
Mark 4 5.2 25.0 1:18 23:43
Mark 5 8.0 33.0 2:00 01:43
Mark 6 5.5 38.5 1:22 03:05
FINISH 1.5 40.0 0:22 03:27

START: between "5", Fl G 2.5s and "6", Fl R 4s
• outside of Boston Harbor (Deer Island) between North Channel G "5" buoy and South Channel R "6" buoy
time 17:28 (calculated @ 4 kts)
time 17:52 (actual) - late start

MARK 1: "NC", Mo (A) WHIS RACON (-.), Mo(A) W
MBSA "M"
• entrance to Boston North Channel
• 1.4 nm bearing 26°
time 0:21 (leg calculated @ 4 kts)
time 17:49 (calculated @ 4 kts)
time 18:35 (actual)

MARK 2: "B", Mo (A) WHIS RACON (-...), Mo(A) W
MBSA "K"
• eastern buoy leading to North Channel
• 5.4 nm bearing 88°

MARK 3: "2", Fl R 4s WHIS
MBSA "A"
• off Eastern Point, Gloucester
• 12.7 nm bearing 24°

MARK 4: "1", Fl G 4s WHIS
MBSA "B"
• off Newcomb Ledge, Marblehead
• 5.1 nm bearing 222°

MARK 5: "B", Mo (A) WHIS RACON (-...), Mo(A) W
MBSA "K"
• eastern buoy leading to North Channel
• 8.0 nm bearing 194°

MARK 6: "NC", Mo (A) WHIS RACON (-.), Mo(A) W
MBSA "M"
• entrance to Boston North Channel
• 5.4 nm bearing 268°

FINISH: between "5", Fl G 2.5s and "6", Fl R 4s
• outside of Boston Harbor (Deer Island) between North Channel G "5" buoy and South Channel R "6" buoy
• 1.4 nm bearing 207°

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
That sucks that the wind didn't cooperate but it was a good dry run for next year.

You need to talk to your doctor, it's just not right for the captain to feed the fish! :oops:

Jan 22, 2008
csinnett said:
That sucks that the wind didn't cooperate but it was a good dry run for next year.

You need to talk to your doctor, it's just not right for the captain to feed the fish! :oops:
The low wind did allow me to verify many other things for a long sail. Comfortable with the details of navigating over a distance, beyond the line of site, and doing it in the dark. That is an important skill. I will make the trip a few time more this season. That is one of the skills I wanted to practice this season.

Also got to use the Tiller Pilot and verify it does work. Since it is an older model and of unknown condition, the Moon Chase was a good time to test it out. It is such a good step up from using the Tiller Tamer or Tiller Clutch (which are good for short periods of time).

I swapped out the remaining quick pin yesterday. Also cleared the mainsail outhaul cable that managed to wedge between the sheave and the end casting. The stopper knot for the flattener came out awhile back. That line slipped into the boom. Fortunately I don't normally use the flattener but I like to have everything working just in case.

Good to see my low wind skills are not too far off from other experienced racers. I was keeping up with the slightly faster boats. Another improvement over the past seasons.

Fortunately, the medication side affect was a known possibility so I was prepared for it. After feeding the fish, I felt quite normal for the rest of the trip. My body does tend to acclimate to medications over time. A follow up visit was pre-scheduled before I left my doctor's office last week. I know I would rather be feeding ON the fish...

I think it is important to know that our Capri 22 boats are very capable vessels. It is important to stretch ourselves past our comfort levels now and then. Two years ago I would not have thought about trying this. This year I said I can do it. Next year I plan on placing (short of high winds). Fortunately only 2 or 3 JAM boats sail so all I need to do is just finish.

It was a fun adventure in spite of the low winds. Next time I will be looking for a bit more...

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
JEPomer said:
I think it is important to know that our Capri 22 boats are very capable vessels. It is important to stretch ourselves past our comfort levels now and then.
I completely agree. We've gone without reefing two weeks in a row in conditions that I'd have reefed in the past. These boats take it, dig in and just keep on going.

Jul 2, 2013

JEPomer said:
(Matt - you are welcome to join us.)
I would have loved to join the crew this time, but I had to work Saturday AM, and we had a big 4th birthday party for my son at the house later in the day. My wife would probably shoot me if I left her to do all the setup by herself. I haven't even been out on the boat since I launched it 5/17. I started a major remodel at the house early May with the intention of wrapping it up by the party last weekend. I missed that goal with about 8' to the wall of hardwood flooring left to install (I'll finish it over the next night or two). We'll be out on the water this Friday and Saturday all day. Watching multiple fireworks display from the middle of the lake.

Are you still doing the Wed night beer can?

Jan 22, 2008

Mattw79 said:
JEPomer said:
(Matt - you are welcome to join us.)
I would have loved to join the crew this time, but I had to work Saturday AM, and we had a big 4th birthday party for my son at the house later in the day. My wife would probably shoot me if I left her to do all the setup by herself. I haven't even been out on the boat since I launched it 5/17. I started a major remodel at the house early May with the intention of wrapping it up by the party last weekend. I missed that goal with about 8' to the wall of hardwood flooring left to install (I'll finish it over the next night or two). We'll be out on the water this Friday and Saturday all day. Watching multiple fireworks display from the middle of the lake.

Are you still doing the Wed night beer can?
Matt,

We have a house remodeling project, too! You know it since you did the drawings. We divided the project into three phases: 1) raised roof, reshingled, and added the second floor room; 2) add foundation (extending under mudroom), cap, add walls/roof for added room and porches; 3) inside finish work. We got the first section done by a contractor last October/November. I will be excavating later this weekend after removing the existing porch. The finish trim will get done over the winter and spring as funds and time allow. Extending the basement under the mudroom addition will give me a nice long garage space for masts!

I didn't get "Ophelia" in the water until the first weekend in June. Wednesdays ave not always been easy to make due to work travel. But I am planning on going tomorrow since I took this week off. Ellen broke her ankle last winter is hasn't made it to any of the Wednesday races after working all day. She's been out for one sail this season so far.

So, if you want to go on any of the Wednesdays or want to go on any of the Pursuit races, just let me know. This morning I will be finishing the wiring on the O'Day 19 and want to take it out soon...