Mold and Mildew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've used a mixture of detergent and Clorax with good results. This has been dismissed by this thread already so no need to repeat.
I am curious how CLO2 (Clorine DiOxide) would work. It used industrially for cleaning and disinfecting and you can even buy mouthwash and toothpaste with it as a ingredient. I don't know if its readily available or prohibitively expensive. I suspect RichH knows.

dbh252

Mar 22, 2012
S2 9.2C Bath
However... There is always a "however."

The TSP sold at most stores is not TSP; it is TSP blended with detergents or washing soda. Stupid really--a product should be what it says it is--but read the lable.
Good to know. I'll keep a look out.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
I've used a mixture of detergent and Clorax with good results. This has been dismissed by this thread already so no need to repeat.
I am curious how CLO2 (Clorine DiOxide) would work. It used industrially for cleaning and disinfecting and you can even buy mouthwash and toothpaste with it as a ingredient. I don't know if its readily available or prohibitively expensive. I suspect RichH knows.
ClO2 is not stable and is not available. In industry it is generated on-site in a "chlorine dioxide generator."

The nearest you can come is probably a slow release product like Starbrite NosGuard or Odor Xit. These produce ClO2 when water vapor dampens dry chemicals inside and a slow reaction begins. A preventative, not a remover. Google "chlorine dioxide" + car and there are more products.

How effective? Haven't tested them. But not something I want in my boat.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Guys & Gals, hopefully this will make it real simple.

Use the products/chemicals that you are familiar and comfortable with. Looking for magic bullets can result in sometimes permanent harm to yourself and others.

Just like all the endless threads about 'boat tank water' .... the elemental truth is 'hygiene' is the very best solution for mold and mildew control. Wash the 'total' inside of your boat occasionally with SOAP and WATER.
This will remove most all the debris (such as exfoliated human skin cells and other formerly 'living' stuff) that accumulates and sticks to surfaces and provides the nutrients which feed the molds and mildews, etc.
Most 'soaps' & detergents are naturally 'caustic', most detergents being caustic will dissolve most of these 'cells' if left in sufficient contact time or 'soak time'. If you want 'strong' soap go to an 'agricultural supply' (Agway, etc.)
Vinegar can kill mold; but, its residual 'acidity' creates an enhanced low pH surface for more or later regrowth; molds and mildews thrive in 'mildly acidic' conditions.

Many mold and mildew species are extremely toxic to humans, especially to human respiratory tissue, and your natural immunity to these can be sequentially and additively diminished ... and you may not know that your auto-immune system is declining. Its the spores that do the 'spread' of the principal infection. If the 'all' surfaces are 'clean' (and slightly caustic because you didn't rinse away all the caustic detergent), the probability of growth will be greatly reduced.
Once the mold and mildew 'filaments' are grown INTO the surface material, they become very hard to remove/dissolve/inactivate and the surface 'fruiting bodies' will continue to reappear ad nauseum until you then ... as a last resort use 'special anti-fungal' and other complex 'chemicals'. My personal choice for that is "3M Marine Mildew Block Spray" and even that Im totally experienced with the 'drastic' disinfectants used in the pharma, food and dairy, etc. industries.
Simply don't let mold and mildew 'happen' ... by regular 'hygiene' - wash the insides of your boat with SOAP and water, dont remove all the soap but leave a little bit to create a caustic surface (on the non-painted surfaces) which helps to inactivate the spores.

Other.
NEVER EVER EVER attempt to clean or remove a mold or mildew that is DRY. Doing so will release zillions of spores and many can be aspirated into your respiratory tract, stick to your mucous membranes or cornea. Use at least a 'dust mask' when cleaning 'mold or mildew', a good respirator is even better. If want to use 'clorox', this is the time to do it: spritz the mold with clorox to soak and 'stun' and hopefully inactivate the spores, let soak fully ... and then 'clean it'.

(If you want to discover where probably most of the spores are coming from .... START with the vent line on your water tank, followed by all the 'undersurfaces' where you never ever cleaned before ... like the underside of your sole, etc. or the 'undersurface' of that 'floor pan' or 'liner', your anchor locker!!!!)

A totally 'clean' boat (including all the 'undersides') will have very little mold/mildew and will usually stay that way with little hassle other than an occasional 'washing' with soap and water. Most of the 'fine debris and dust' where humans inhabit ... is 'exfoliated dead skin cells'.

hope this helps

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
.... the elemental truth is 'hygiene' is the very best solution for mold and mildew control. Wash the 'total' inside of your boat occasionally with SOAP and WATER.

That has been my expereince. And it really does not take that long to do a good annual wipe down.

And maintaining the boat as dry as possible. A dusty bilge.

Status
Not open for further replies.