Mold and mildew during storage

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@thinwater has written about this on SBO and Practical Sailor. While vinegar kills the spores and mold, it leaves behind a residue that might best be described as mold food. This particularly problematic on surfaces that are completely smooth, the vinegar remains in the nooks and crannies, the spores land and have a feast.

Check his blog, http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/search?q=formula+b for more info. Also check Practical Sailor.
OK I will follow up by spraying with Concrobium

Jun 14, 2010
Actually, if you follow the suggested links, Formula B is more effective and many, many times cheaper. It was developed for flood-damaged carpet.
Thanks. How much more effective? (I bought the Concrobium and I'm past the return period, so I'd prefer to use it.)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We leave almost everything onboard (except sails) and open all the hatches and companionway. Everything below stays dry and well ventilated. This is the dry season for the boat.

All it takes is a cover that doesn't leak and adequate air flow through it, easier to achieve if you live close to the boat and can check the cover and adjust air flow.
Under cover.jpg

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
We have a 12 inch round dehumidifier that keeps the indoor temperature of the boat above the dew point
How does that little floor dehumidifier work? It seems not to do the job by collecting and disposing of water, so is it that it functions strictly as a low level heater? If so, what is its advantage over a small electric heater with an adjustable thermostat?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
What has the group had success with to prevent mold/mildew inside the boat during winter storage? The product I used (contains formaldehyde) is no longer made. Searching for a good alternative.

Thanks!
Air flow... Once covered I open the sink drain seacocks, place a fan in the companion way and crack the bow and midships hatches. Zero odor....

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Thanks. How much more effective? (I bought the Concrobium and I'm past the return period, so I'd prefer to use it.)
A little more effective. Concrobium is good, so by all means, use it up!

Remember to use only the recommended concentrations and not to rinse it off. A carpet vacuum works well for fabrics.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
1) Two bags of plain charcoal, same stuff as used in your barbecue.
Paper towels on the bottom on a bucket then crush up a bag as best as you can, just large pieces and pour into the bucket. Place the buckets fore and aft. Helps with winter odors also.
2) as someone else posted put a colander over a bucket and add calcium into the colander. You can get the calcium from any pool or spa store.
3) fan plugged into a solar panel.

Jun 14, 2010
A little more effective. Concrobium is good, so by all means, use it up!

Remember to use only the recommended concentrations and not to rinse it off. A carpet vacuum works well for fabrics.
I bought the premixed formula. I also bought a mini fogger. My thoughts are to set the fogger on the finest mist with cabinets opened, and also direct it to the bilges then close up the boat overnight so it gets wafted into the nooks. (Will wear a chemical respirator mask)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DDK79C