Mold and mildew during storage

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
What has the group had success with to prevent mold/mildew inside the boat during winter storage? The product I used (contains formaldehyde) is no longer made. Searching for a good alternative.

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
First, we off load all fabric bedding, towels, curtains, cushions, etc. every fall when we haul the boat.

Then, we deploy 6 damp rid containers in the boat.

Finally, we visit the boat in early January to check on conditions, and renew the damp rid.

No mildew after the first winter, in 2000, our first with Lady Lilley.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Keep the moisture out of the boat and make sure there is adequate ventilation.

We have a full canvas enclosure, similar to a Fairclough cover. This prevents water and snow from getting into the boat and allows us to leave a few hatches cracked open to aide with ventilation. Once temperatures start dropping below freezing the air gets pretty dry and moisture is not a big issue. Not so much on the shoulders of winter, when it is 45 and raining.

See; http://www.fairclough.com/winter-boat-covers/

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I too use a Fairclough cover. It has some vents and it breathes well. Shrink wrap does not allow an exchange of air as well and so there tends to be more mildew with shrink wrap. I do not leave any hatches open under the cover because I think it just lets in moisture in the late Fall and early Spring.

For the interior, I do several things. First, I do not remove any cushions but I bag any towels and bedding that I am leaving. After my boat is hauled, I use a shop vac to suck all of the residual water out of the bilge. This removes a big moisture source. Then I place seven buckets with colanders in the top of them around the cabin areas. I put about 2 cups of pure calcium chloride pellets into the colanders. The calcium chloride absorbs any moisture in the air and it condenses and drips into the buckets. This calcium chloride is the "pure" variety, not the formula that is mixed with rock salt. You can buy a 40# bag at Home Depot or any gardening supply. It is also used as an ice melt for walks. Be sure that you are getting the stuff that is 100% calcium chloride and not a mix. I bought the buckets and colanders at the dollar store for $14. The 40# calcium chloride is about $30 and will last you 10 years if you put it in an air-tight container.

In the Spring I empty all of the buckets and rinse everything for next year. I collect about one full bucket of water with this system.

I can't claim that I get no mildew or mold at all, but it is very minimal. A quick wipe with a mildew cleaner in the Spring is all that is required. The cushions have been just fine for 18 years. I also flip all the cushions up so that air can circulate around them. And I open all the cabinets and drawers too.

2000_0325_203230AA.jpg
2000_0325_203238AA.jpg
2000_0325_203252AA.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Rich,

Great idea with he buckets and Calcium Chloride. Lot cheaper than buying Damp-Rid.

It would be an interesting experiment to leave a hatch open one year and measure the amount of water you collect. I have 2 very small hatches over the stove and in the head that I leave cracked in addition to the 2 dorades. I also will win no housekeeping awards as the cushions are raised and lockers left open, all in the name of air circulation.

The full covers generate a lot of heat in the boat that helps to keep it dry. Even on damp days the temperature under the boat can be 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside air.

Dave

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
I store for the summer in FL and use SunPacs. They are harder to find now (EPA rules I guess) but available online. You used to be able to get them at Walgreens. I hang about 8 of them through the boat and when I open her up in December it's all nice and fresh, no mold. SUnPacs are formaldehyde.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
adequate ventilation.
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation
adequate ventilation

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
1. We take all the mildew targets off the boat for the winter: cushions, bedding, curtains, towels, etc.
2. We leave 6 containers of Damp Rid on the boat.
3. We visit the boat in January to check it, and refill the Damp Rid.

After some mildew in 2000/1, we have had no problems for the past 14 winters (Oct. to Apr.)

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
Thanks all. Great suggestions, as usual. I will try the SunPacks, as I used to use the fomaldehyde and it worked very well.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It is really quite simple.

Bilge must be 100% bone dry
Remove all cushions and soft goods
Open hatches under the cover
Open dorade vents
I then open all sink drain seacocks
I remove the hose from raw water intake and open seacock
I remove the hose from the 1.5" sanitation seacock and leave it open (open hose end gets plugged)

This creates a good chimney effect and you'd be amazed at how much air is sucked in through the open seacocks.. We have zero mold, use no Damp-Rid and the boat is dry and odor free... Air circulation is key...

While we use shrink wrap the cover and frame are of my own design. (no cover will ever touch the paint!) The cover stops at the toe rail and the rail itself provides plenty of ventilation and breath-ability. The aft end forms a vestibule which extends beyond the davits, covers my ladder and keeps the cockpit snow free. It remains full open all winter.. This cover self sheds all snow and and provides tremendous air circulation. I am allergic to mold and this is where I have ended up over many years. My brother is now also doing a vestibule cover on his boat......

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Maine sail, I love the idea of the vestibule! You should patent it. How do you prevent birds from nesting under it? Great air circulation with it!

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We have a 12 inch round dehumidifier that keeps the indoor temperature of the boat above the dew point so mold
does not form....is safe and I just leave it plugged in most of the winter with zero issues....they are sold by West Marine
and also Defenders (very similiar)....and are ignition protected so can not start a fire...I also use it some in the summer when we close up the boat and I return to a comfortable environment....It is stainless steel. Patrick

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I've tried everything from a chemical dehumidifiers to electric ones all with little to no success. UNTIL, I installed a Nicro vent and a small space heater. Ventilation plus warming the air inside the boat finally did the trick. Dry as a bone inside. Obviously you will need electricity for the space heater and make sure its a good one with an auto shutoff if it falls over etc, for safety.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Distilled white vinegar is VERY effective (like a miracle) at dissolving mildew. I tried it (based on an old post from someone else here, perhaps @zeehag ). I was amazed. A gallon of vinegar and a supply of clean rags is all you need and no scrubbing, no rubbing, no waiting.
It's cheap and not harmful to people or surfaces.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
Distilled white vinegar is VERY effective (like a miracle) at dissolving mildew. I tried it (based on an old post from someone else here, perhaps @zeehag ). I was amazed. A gallon of vinegar and a supply of clean rags is all you need and no scrubbing, no rubbing, no waiting.
not to mention that the vinegar changes the pH of surface to address the spores as well. the slight acidity prevents growth for a while. not as long as we wish it to, but i am playing with that issue.

Jan 11, 2014
not to mention that the vinegar changes the pH of surface to address the spores as well. the slight acidity prevents growth for a while. not as long as we wish it to, but i am playing with that issue.
@thinwater has written about this on SBO and Practical Sailor. While vinegar kills the spores and mold, it leaves behind a residue that might best be described as mold food. This particularly problematic on surfaces that are completely smooth, the vinegar remains in the nooks and crannies, the spores land and have a feast.

Check his blog, http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/search?q=formula+b for more info. Also check Practical Sailor.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
It is really quite simple.

Bilge must be 100% bone dry
Remove all cushions and soft goods
Open hatches under the cover
Open dorade vents
I then open all sink drain seacocks
I remove the hose from raw water intake and open seacock
I remove the hose from the 1.5" sanitation seacock and leave it open (open hose end gets plugged)

This creates a good chimney effect and you'd be amazed at how much air is sucked in through the open seacocks.. We have zero mold, use no Damp-Rid and the boat is dry and odor free... Air circulation is key...

While we use shrink wrap the cover and frame are of my own design. (no cover will ever touch the paint!) The cover stops at the toe rail and the rail itself provides plenty of ventilation and breath-ability. The aft end forms a vestibule which extends beyond the davits, covers my ladder and keeps the cockpit snow free. It remains full open all winter.. This cover self sheds all snow and and provides tremendous air circulation. I am allergic to mold and this is where I have ended up over many years. My brother is now also doing a vestibule cover on his boat......

Great cover, Maine Sail. I like your Hobie, too! It looks a lot like my Hobie Power Skiff.