Mold adjudication?

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
My 1984 O’day 28 has been sitting on the hard for 9 months under cover. Yet moisture has made its way into the cabin. Signs of what my wife believes to be mold appears on the wood components in the cabin. She fears we may be subject to a terminal risk of exposure to mold spores while cleaning the interior of the cabin. I’d appreciate any advice on how to deal with this? What is sufficient protection for us to wear and how to remove any mold? The apparent mold is white or gray, not green.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Moth ball vapor kills mold spores but leaves a smell. You can buy inexpensive ozone generators on Amazon. That will also kill mold. Let it ru inside the boat for a few days then Hold your breathe when you enter the boat, turn it off, exit and let it air out

then clean

BTW: I use mothballs and let my boat air out but the smell can linger

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ridding the boat of mold is a common topic on SBO because it is a common problem on boats.

Some claim ozone generators are the way to go, however, others point to the many problems with ozone generators and their effects on human health and the various bits and pieces on a boat.

Chlorine bleach is also cited as a solution and it does work, however, bleach can damage plastics and cloth.

Vinegar is a very temporary solution, it kills the mold and mildew, however, it leaves behind a residue that turns into mold food.

Tea Tree oil and the like make the boat smell better, but do little to kill the mold.

Practical Sailor has published several articles on the problem and with @thinwater 's guidance developed a DIY solution that is very inexpensive and effective, commonly known as Formula B.

I have used Formula B on my boat with positive effects. Using a garden pump sprayer I sprayed it everywhere and in every nook and cranny I could reach and it has done a good job of eradicating mold and eliminating the musty smell. On visible surfaces I do wipe it off after it dries, in the deeper recesses I just left it as it impedes future mold growth.

Finally, finding the sources of unwanted moisture is key. In my case, I had on place that was hard to eliminate mold, turned out that I had a very slow leak in a water tank that kept the area moist.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
After testing a plethora of cleaners and chemicals, I was glad to see PS had this bottom line at the end:

"However, dehumidification or ventilation-keeping things dry-was far more effective than any product we have tested."

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
@Randall Schmidt not everybody has the same sensitivity to mold. What makes some people very sick may not affect somebody else. Mold spores are all around us in the air, as it is obvious, since you find it on your boat. You can use a simple respiration mask that you get at HD depending upon your level of concern. I wouldn't hesitate to get either a cloth mask or a half mask such as these:
Keep in mind, that if you start to feel any throat discomfort, it would be time to stop.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
look at the extensive household posts on getting rid of mold in acrylic or stone showers and baths. ; they advise using an ammonia spray and wearing a good quality ventilator mask while doing the spraying. let it sit an hour, then scrub off. some professionally made winter covers made of boattop or sunbrella breathe. some covers like old blue plastic or hardware - store plastic tarps trap the moisture. we put desiccant containers from a hardware store in 3 places in our 33 ft boat, which stores oct to may under a boat top cover. we've never had mold.