Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2010
Macgregor 25 Southern Maryland
Now that the boat is in Solomons and will shortly be on the hard, I wanted to explore making some modifications. The ones that strike me are: installing slugs on the luff of the mainsail, since I can't stand having to hand feed the bolt rope through the slot in the mast, leading the lines back to the cockpit, and probably installing a cabin top winch to help raise the main from the cockpit. I was considering installing a traveler instead of the set up the boat has now, but that actually worked out okay and I saw how it won't be any more difficult to sheet in or out than a traveler.

But the big one that I don't think I'll do myself is there are not reef points in the mainsail. While I don't plan on going out in bad weather and will be cautious about weather that is supposed to worsen while I'm out, I do want the option of reefing the main rather than relying solely on the engine. Any thoughts on this? It seems to me to be rather an important thing to have done.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Those are good mods to start with. Placing a traveler in the forward end of the cockpit is one mod that most of us have done. Having reef points put in should not be too expensive. You really only need one set. You will not need a winch to raise the main sail especially after you install the slugs. Just grabbing hold and putting your back into it will snug up the main.
Other recommended mods include the following. Furler, autopilot, tiller tamer, an anchor roller, lazy jacks, transom ladder, gas shocks for cabin roof, genoa track, a johnson lever, and move electronic out of bilge to panel under companion way.
Have fun,
Frank

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Installing the slugs will be a great improvement especially if you want to raise/lower quickly. I put a sail stop, pretty inexpensive, in the main track which allows you to lower the main without taking all the slugs out of the track when you're reefing. Mid boom sheeting is an option I would recommend. Reef points can be put in by any good sailmaker. You never appreciate the ability to reef until you can't. As I have mentioned try to get a copy of Sail Power by Wallace Ross. Lots of great ideas. $$$ As Caguy says it's only a matter of how many improvements you want to make. I've had my current V-25 for 33 years and I'm still thinking of ways to make it sail better and prettier. Fair Winds and Full Sails...

By the way, how was your first voyage?? Let us all hear from you.:)

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
Two quick suggestions: When you put in the slugs (which is a very good idea), but some spray silicone lubricant in the track on the main. You'll not need the winch to raise the main, since it will become a very easy pull on the halyard, and the main will fall back down on its own weight when you want to put it away for the night.

The second suggestion (after having lost several slug stoppers), is to drill a hole in the flange on the mast where the slugs enter and put a stopper pin in place. With a small lanyard on the pin, you can't lose it, which makes sailors happy!

Have fun with the upgrades, it's time well spent.

JDK

Attachments

May 12, 2010
Frank,

I do have roller furling, a swim ladder and a track for the genoa sheets, so those are all a plus. So, are you saying that I won't need the cabin top winch, but should still lead the main halyard to the cockpit? I do want to have the lines lead aft so if I single hand, I'm not going back and forth to raise the sails, which can be dangerous depending on the situation. And I'm pretty sure lazy jacks are in my future as well. Also, whats a johnson lever?

Old Salt,

I don't know what mid boom sheeting means. I know for these Horizon sails, they suggest jiffy reefing, which is what the boat on which I learned to sail had. Oh, and here's a link to the story of motoring the boat (cuz that's what we had to do) to Solomons, MD. http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=124445

I hope that works. Thanks for your advice, and I will look for that book.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Hey JDK. like the pin in the mast idea. I've been using a bungee to hold the slugs in which works fine until I have to reef or take the reef out. Will be putting in a pin in the spring. I too am new to sailing, got my 1990 26s in August so I was only able to sail for 2 months. Love the boat and the mods have been started for the interior. So many ideas on here especially from Sumner.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have slugs on the luff and my main halyard led back to the cockpit. I can raise the mainsail without a winch but on windy days when I want it tight I use the jib winch

Halyard is the white/blue line

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Arknoah, Sorry my scanner is busted. Mid boom main sheet with a traveler just aft of the cabin entry. Sumner built one from scracth, (showoff), and it's a beaut. Helps you adjust main shape, easier to reach and clears aft cockpit. easy to install. check Lewmar or Harken website for pics. Fair Winds and Full Sails....

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
That danged Sumner...makes us all look bad :) Actually, his boat is going to be on the poster for "This Is Your Mac......This Is Your Mac on Crack". If he puts in an ice maker, then I'll know he's gone too far.

Justin, I like your labels for port and starboard. I've got them on our golf cart, and it has raised a few questions.

JDK

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If you boat has the original roller furling and the goose neck conects to the mast with one through bolt then just close the feeder slot with a board and hammer and open a new one below the boom .

This is a picture of my mast before the mod, you can see the small red line to keep the slugs from falling out.

Once you feed the sail up the mast and install the boom there is no way the sail can escape untill you remove the boom.

You will also be able to lower and flake the sail lower because there will be no gate to get in the way of the first (one nearest the boom) slug. It will also allow the reefing cringle to be pulled closer to the boom. Later macs had a riveted goosneck and cant do this.

May 12, 2010
Two quick suggestions: When you put in the slugs (which is a very good idea), but some spray silicone lubricant in the track on the main. You'll not need the winch to raise the main, since it will become a very easy pull on the halyard, and the main will fall back down on its own weight when you want to put it away for the night.

The second suggestion (after having lost several slug stoppers), is to drill a hole in the flange on the mast where the slugs enter and put a stopper pin in place. With a small lanyard on the pin, you can't lose it, which makes sailors happy!

Have fun with the upgrades, it's time well spent.

JDK
That's a good idea. The opening in which the slugs or boltrope go is pretty large on my mast, and I wondered how to keep the slugs from falling out when you lower the sail. There are lots of things I could do, but this idea is simple and obviously effective and even I can drill a strategic hole!

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If I ever redo my boat this is one mod that will happen. It will , of course, have to be moved to the other side.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
......Justin, I like your labels for port and starboard. I've got them on our golf cart, and it has raised a few questions.

JDK
:) They were there when we bought her. I just thought all Macs had the labels. We take kids from our parish out on cruises, the labels help to educate them about sailing. A points-of-sail chart would be handy too.

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
You can get those decals from Harken. They give them away at shows, so I bet you could call them and get some mailed to you. I have them on my boat for the family, and guests that should happen aboard my boat.

Gregg

:) They were there when we bought her. I just thought all Macs had the labels. We take kids from our parish out on cruises, the labels help to educate them about sailing. A points-of-sail chart would be handy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.