Moderating

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Do we need some moderating? There are a couple of spam posts up just now - one of which is 10 days old - that need kicked into touch to retain credibility. I quite understand that David is no longer so involved and really appreciate all he’s done in getting this going and keeping it sane over the past year and a half… Any ideas?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I have the same concern Iain.

David has been more than generous sweeping up around here. I've looked into finding an alternative to get him off the hook.

So far I haven't found a good alternative. We may have to find a provider that will put us up a site? I have no idea what that takes, what we would need to pay to do so etc. Any ideas?

Also, I'm still convinced there is a need (witness your work in filing owners/boats) to have a library and possible group up of this era of Alden boats, or a larger group including like designs, vintage. Any thoughts from anyone?

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Re: Administration and future

I think this is a nice, simple platform at the moment for discussion and info on our boats.

A full-on web site would require much more work and maintenance. One big thing that would help to make it better would be for someone (you Tom? - you seem very proficient at uploading great images) to explain in dummy terms how to upload attachments – particularly images.

Presumably this forum could easily be re-titled:

“Forum for:

Alden Challenger
Alden Mistral
Alden Zephyr
Alden Caravelle

?

I might be prepared to take over David’s part in this but need to more about the implications.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Good ideas Iain.

I think we need more participants. This is a unique group of Alden boats, stuck in a time warp of sorts.

As far as photos go, I host them on my personal website that is included in my DSL service. This website which Peter pays for and maintains doesn't have a photo hosting tool. (it would be an additional cost for him)

So you need to have the photo residing on a website or take it (if it's ok with the owner) off another website.

This site then has the tool to allow you to place the photo file (you're actually placing the address on this site so the photo will upload). I will ask around again and see what options may be available to us. With all of our information, we would be well served by a site that could host photos. That way, it would be a simple matter for anyone to post a digital photo.

I hope we can keep this dialogue going and increase this group.

Sep 9, 2004
Keeping the site

I agree that this site is too valuable to loose. In a way, it is as valuable as the information and gracious assistance of Niels Helleberg and Alden. As Iain suggests, the site could be expanded to include other designs and thus other owners.
Caring for and running a site is far beyond my abilities but I would be quick to donate to a maintenance effort.
Along a parallel line, I wonder if Alden could be persuaded to help with a lists of owners who are potential site participants?

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
I was at Rummery's the other day. There are two Challengers side by side in their shop. Maybe they could be persuaded to help out. I dropped a few hints.

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
missing moderator

Sorry everyone! I've been missing in action lately. I'm very focused recently on sleeping when I can, changing diapers, etc. For those that don't know, my wife recently gave birth to twins.

I went through the forum and deleted the spam that I saw, let me know if I missed any.

I'd be happy to change individual accounts to Moderator level for one or possibly two people so that you can moderate (delete offensive posts, etc).

Send me a private message if you are interested.

Regards,
David

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
jib trimmers

Two jib trimmers! We need to get them on the water, we still have time though as they are only 10 weeks old.

Sorry for some down time today. You may have noticed or not noticed. I upgraded the forum to the latest version and cleaned up the underlying database structure. Try out all the features and let me know if you notice any weird stuff.

I've had one volunteer so far for moderator; please send a private message to me if you are interested in being a moderator.

Regards,
David