Mod to H-34 V-Berth bed

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
A number of years ago I replaced the 4-inch cushions of the V-Berth with 6-inch ones. It made sleeping better but after 22 years of cussing at the 1/2'' step created by Hunter with the plywood sheet covering the V opening, I decided to do something about it. Attached is my simple way of making the bed floor even ! Have slept on the boat over a dozen times so far this season and I can honestly say I have never slept so good, particularly in the wee hours of the morning when I seem to toss more. No more nasty feeling of the hardness of that 1/2 inch piece of plywood. One of those things where you say: ''Why didn't I think of that before ?'' I highly recommend this mod to every 34 owner !

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I trying to envision how Hunter made the insert originally. My 79H30C was made the way you did your mod (sort of, no retaining board for cushion needed).
Did they actually make the insert lower than the main cushion deck?

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I trying to envision how Hunter made the insert originally. My 79H30C was made the way you did your mod (sort of, no retaining board for cushion needed).
Did they actually make the insert lower than the main cushion deck?
They simply put an oversized sheet of plywood on the cushion deck to cover the V open space and drilled 2 holes near the aft end of the deck where cutter pins were inserted to prevent the plywood from moving. On the filling sheet they had 2 pieces of 1'' Velcro screwed in on either side with reciprocal pieces stitched in the V-cushion. That arrangement wasn't worth crap and I made the retaining board years ago which solved the problem of the middle cushion falling to the floor in the middle of the night.

Last edited: