Mod forthcoming - mast crutch front and rear, Mac 26s

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
Heres the idea: lift the front of the mast (and rear as required) while trailering to a height that will allow us to fully raise the poptop while camping enroute to out destination.

Here's the plan: to super simplify the explanation I'm going to build a yoke on the end of a piece of lumber to receive the mast base. This board will attach to the pulpit mount somewhere midway such that the board/crutch will lean forward off the bow. The base of the mast will through bolt into the yoke at the top and the bottom will be angled back aft far enough to be strapped under the mid line cleat on the foredeck up at the bow - perhaps just by the weight of the cantilever at the other end?

The middle of the mast will be cradled in a PVC support standing up from the mast step plate. The setup will be stabilized using the baby stays for the mast raising system as shrouds which attach to the deck on either side as they would for mast raising.

Will that cleat be able to handle the forces subjected to it while trailering? Bad plan? We think it will be nice to have ready access to the raised pop top when trailering next summer.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Will that cleat be able to handle the forces subjected to it while trailering?
I think the cleat could handle it. But how high will the mast be carried?

"Total length: 60 feet (65 feet for an RV towing a vehicle); trailer and motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches for trailers, 8 feet for motor homes (excluding safety equipment); height: 13 feet 6 inches."

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
How about just a vertical piece that sits on the pulpit and goes up through the existing pulpit bracket? Bolt it to the existing pulpit bracket the same way you do the mast now, let the bottom sit on the deck. Put the top of the mast on top of the piece - maybe with a strap or bungee or rope to tie it on. Make it temporary, and something you do once you get to the campground. Pull it out and re-attach the mast foot to the pulpit bracket before driving away.
The longer center support could also be temporary. You'd have two temporary pieces to install once you get to the campsite to raise the mast higher up.
I'm liking this so much, I might just make a set for our S boat!! It is an ongoing issue, trying to work inside the boat with the mast on top... I have a tall arch on the back, so the rear is higher than normal. That helps the cockpit, and improves access through the companionway. But if it was as easy as sticking two boards or pipes in place to raise the mast up high enough for the pop-top? Well, heck, no reason not to try it!
I might even try to convince the admiral to go boat-camping on land with me, just for fun!

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I think the primary reason for leaning it forward was specifically to "catch" the bottom on the cleat for added stability and then as a side bonus the mast shifts forward a bit more, giving a hair more weight offset - not that this is a HUGE difference (outboard trailered in place on the back) but also less mast overhang out the back.

Overall height would actually be less since raising the front end of the mast the rear end (top) would drop. The middle support is mandatory though. Even just using the pulpit mount in my opinion. These masts are very flexy.