Mobile navigation app

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Speaking of glitches... after following this thread, I decided to visit the App Store and downloaded Aqua Maps. I really like the way it works! Quick and easy to create routes, which is what I'm looking for in a planning app. Nice price and apparently a fully functional app including a trial period for the advanced feature Master Subscription. Coverage for the areas that I am interested in, good looking charts, and highly visible routes... but then I saw something that didn't look quite right. Does that say "Island"? It doesn't look like an island... Here are a couple of screen shots from Aqua Maps and then from iNavX, in which I have created about a thousand waypoints and routes.

View attachment 225658 View attachment 225659 View attachment 225661 View attachment 225662
If you turn on Satellite images, the island will appear as an island. Not a perfect work around, but it works. The charts are up dated weekly. Refresh the charts next week some time to see if they have fixed the issue. They are also working on adding Canadian NOTMs to the chart and the problem seems to be related to that improvement.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
After using Aqua Maps alongside Navionics, I can see the value in having both. I rely on Navionics tide and weather data. Aqua Maps is pretty spare in the base version in this area but there is an additional weather service.

I'm so used to Navionics that a different 'look' takes some getting used to but having two data sources is nice for comparison.

We'll use them both on various devices. Good tool and very affordable. Thanks

PS: Larry, thanks on the Iphone problem. It was always easy to fix just annoying.

No such problem with the Android tablet. For me it's valuable to be suspicious that something isn't right on any screen when navigating; location, what's not showing, is this thing even working(?), etc.

It's still just like my old days of piloting on paper charts when I was never exactly where I thought I was, and occasionally, not even close,..

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I sent an email reporting my problem to support at Aqua Maps with a couple of my screenshots. I told them that I was using their software on the 14 day free trial. They would have received the email over the weekend. Early this morning, I had a reply from them, that it was an island/depth issue that they were aware of, and that they hope to have a fix to the cartography issued soon (hopefully within a week).

I wish I got this kind of response from people that I pay a lot of money to. :thumbup:

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I noticed this when looking at the harbor of Georgetown, SC, and found that the problem exists when USACE overlays are turned on, but the island renders properly when the USACE overlay is turned off. I sent the screenshots below to Aqua Maps Support and received the following response:
"This is an issue we are aware of but it is not up to us.
Unfortunately, the integration of data resources from multiple official sources (NHD and NOAA) and missing clippings in the USACE data can lead to situations like the one you are reporting.
Pietro
Aqua Map Support Team"

So it seems this is from bad USACE data in this case.
USACE data on and off.pngUSACE off.png

Last edited: