Mobile navigation app

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So I know there is much discussion in the files but like with all tech navigation apps keep changing or new ones come on the market. New iPad and want to get a new app….. aqua map, navtronics or…… My old iPad has a discontinued BlueChart mobile by Garmin that I have a bunch of tracked saved in….. I know it’s not been supported in many years but still use as secondary and like it. Anyway want to get a new program on the new iPad.
Btw my chart plotter on board is a Garmin 7607xsv…..

thanks
Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have used AquaMaps and like it. It is affordable and as easy to use as any other. Over the past year there were some major upgrades to the interface which I have yet to explore.

The folks behind Aquamaps are creative and responsive. Have a question and one of the founders will get back to you. One of the big features is the almost live updates from the USACE bottom surveys. Especially helpful in places like the ICW where there is frequent shoaling. There is also weather data, wave data and current data easily accessible and readable. Includes access to Waterway Guide and Active Captain reviews.

The free/trial version is limited in the number of chart sections that can be downloaded.

Edit: Aquamaps will also run on Apple Silicon (M1 and later) laptops. Up to 5 devices can be registered on one account.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I have both Aqua Maps and Navionics. I usually go to Navionics first because (1) it’s what I’ve used longer so I’m more familiar with the visuals and menus; (2) their “sonar charts” provide a nice extra level of detail; and (3) the auto-route feature is handy for rough trip planning (but not actual navigation).

For anyplace with USACE surveys Aqua Maps has a decided advantage. Navionics also increased their prices late last year. I renewed just before the increase, but now it’s about twice the cost of Aqua Maps for the US charts.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My iPad has several apps. Aqua maps is one.
Coastal Explorer, which I used on a PC and PC Laptop now is offered as an iOS app. I like the structure. Have not had the opportunity to use it on the water. Looking forward to using it over the next couple of weeks. They have a nicely priced chart package for Canadian waters. They use Free NOAA charts in the US.

I’ve used I-Navx on iPad and phone. They recognize the VESPER GATEWAY. All the data on me SeatalkNG come through the gateway and is available on the apps.

You really need to test this software on the water to discover what meets your need.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
My iPad has several apps. Aqua maps is one.
Coastal Explorer, which I used on a PC and PC Laptop now is offered as an iOS app. I like the structure. Have not had the opportunity to use it on the water. Looking forward to using it over the next couple of weeks. They have a nicely priced chart package for Canadian waters. They use Free NOAA charts in the US.

I’ve used I-Navx on iPad and phone. They recognize the VESPER GATEWAY. All the data on me SeatalkNG come through the gateway and is available on the apps.

You really need to test this software on the water to discover what meets your need.
Aqua Maps and Navionics will also use the GPS and AIS data from an external source over bluetooth or WiFi. Aqua Maps displays AIS info better than Navionics or my Raymarine Chartplotter.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

The main reason I use the Navionics Boating app is that I can easily transfer routes from my phone, ipad, android tablet, to my B&G plotter. I find it much easier to create a route on the mobile device and transfer it to the plotter over trying to create the route on the plotter.

I assume that the plotter sync will work w Garmin plotters but since I don't have a garmin plotter I can't verify that.

Another nice feature of the boating app is that I can access all of my data (waypoints, tracks, routes) on ANY of my devices. I can create a route on my ipad, edit on my samsung tablet, and transfer it from my iphone to my Zeus plotter.

Barry

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Aqua Maps is better overall than Navionics. I still use both, as @Davidasailor26 does, but overall Aqua Maps has more features that I want and is easier to use underway.
Hi Larry, does Aqua Maps allow the same 2 devices sharing per account as Navionics? We might it with another tablet and iPhone. What is 'better overall', to you in comparison to Navionics?'

Jun 14, 2010
Hi Larry, does Aqua Maps allow the same 2 devices sharing per account as Navionics? We might it with another tablet and iPhone. What is 'better overall', to you in comparison to Navionics?'
Yes, I believe it’s up to 5 devices. As for a comparison - it would take more time I don't have right now. Will come back to it. Explore the trial - that’s a good start.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, 5 devices per account.

Company support is very good to excellent. Over the weekend I posted an Aquamaps question on the Bob423 FB, almost immediately I got a response from one of the Beta Testers and on Monday one of the owners responded.

Jun 14, 2010
@TomY - Both programs do most of the same things, just differently. For example, the way they display tides and currents, weather and route progress is different, but they both do the same essential things. They both integrate ActiveCaptain info.

What I like most about Aqua Maps:
I find the User Interface easier to read and charts are more readable too. Also more customizable. They just updated the UI about a week or two ago.
Controls are logical/intuitive, particularly for manual route creation/editing and viewing/managing tracks and marks.
USACE latest survey data color shaded overlays are extremely valuable and useful - especially for inlets and channels in the Middle Atlantic and SE US where there are continuously shifting shoals
Integrates with Bob423 tracks including auto-updates - very valuable on the ICW
It displays AIS (via WiFi or Bluetooth connection to my AIS transceiver) in a clearer more informative way than Navionics or my Raymarine Axiom CP
It displays vector and raster (user choice) Explorer charts in the Bahamas, US government charts in the US

What I like the most about Navionics:
I like the way the current predictions planning control is done (better than in AquaMaps)
Automatic routing is very useful for quick estimates of "how far" or ETA of non-linear routes (I don't use those auto routes without checking them carefully - it makes some poor routing decisions). e.g. I use it for a running ETA to the next bridge, so I can slow or speed up to make a scheduled opening.
Sonar Chart - it has data (of unknown source or age) where the government charts and even Navionics official charts may lack detail.
I use it as a gateway to update the Navionics chart card in my chart plotter. If I update the app on my iPad then connect it to my Axiom chartplotter's WiFi it will sync charts, waypoints and routes, and tracks with the Navionics chart card in my CP.

PS - The newest iPad Pro M4 has made a major leap in outdoor sunlight viewability. It's worth the boat buck+ if you use it full-time at the helm like I do. It gets external AIS and GPS from my AIS transceiver over WiFi.

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Yes, I believe it’s up to 5 devices. As for a comparison - it would take more time I don't have right now. Will come back to it. Explore the trial - that’s a good start.
I took your advice. I like it and will subscribe. I've been on Navionics for some time on an Iphone(14) and have added an inexpensive android 'mini' tablet to replace my antique onboard Garmin CP. The size fits well in it's space on a swinging mount board in the companionway.

We've also had another Navionics subscription on my partner's iPhone.

She left it up to me to choose hers so I'll not renew that 2nd Navionics and put her phone and a full-size apple tablet on Aqua Maps.

I find the Aqua Maps odd initially to look at but playing around with the controls, I do find some good features. As long as I can make the overall look comfortable to go between (I think I will), they should work well together.

A nice feature of the Aqua Maps is the better land mapping alongside the marine charting. She is a 'map' person will appreciate the orientation of land and sea as we coastal sail.

My only complaint with Navionics (and it could be my problem) is the occasional freezing up on my iPhone. This may help me get to the bottom of that glitch.

Thanks!