Mobile App for Android Now Online

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
How do I mark posts as having been read?
Some of the website functions, like marking posts read, are customized plugins and not part of the forum core. None of those plugins will transfer over the to the apps, and because the app's code is not on our server, we can't make any modifications to it.

That said, once it's been installed and used for while we can get a quote on what it would cost to have the developer make some modifications to it so it functions more like the website.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Is there any particular advantage to going with the app? The site looks and works great on my Android phone using the Chrome browser.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Some people prefer the app because it's built to work on a small screen, where the website is modified to fit on a phone, so some controls might be small or close together. But the website definitely has a lot more features; the app is clean and simple but on the spartan side.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Some people prefer the app because it's built to work on a small screen, where the website is modified to fit on a phone, so some controls might be small or close together. But the website definitely has a lot more features; the app is clean and simple but on the spartan side.
Thanks for this info, Phil. I'll definitely stick with using my Chrome browser on my Android phone. I don't find anything hard to read on it at all and the new site looks great. Thanks for all your good work.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I prefer the Android browser version to the app as well. Missing all the info about what is new to you is an obvious drawback. Probably not worth spending much to improve the app. But it's good to have an option even as it is. I'd have thought XenForo would have built a configurable app that had more of those features, after all it does not appear to be freeware.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Without the new post link, the app is pretty useless to me. That is the only way I browse the forum.
The "What's new" section after you log in shows what you need.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
I missed that the first time. Had to log in again and look to find it. I might use the app on my phone, but for my tablet, the website works fine.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The app is working well on my Motto X4. I tried it ob my Android tablet but usually end up using the webpage on that.

Nice work!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So far I find the SBO android app lacking even basic functions.

-links are not clickable
-you can't copy text or links and paste them in another app.
-it alerts me to new posts in forums I am not "following"
-no way to configure notifications.
-can't zoom into images with 2 fingers
-when you click on custom forum settings, it asks you to log in, even though you are logged in via the app.

Could be more but I gave up and uninstalled it.

browser version of forums looks almost the same on a phone, with full functionality.

Last edited:

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Unfortunately, I don't have an android device to test this but the links and image resizing sound like bugs that I didn't run into on the iOS test version. I agree that it's extremely basic and lacks many of the functions on the website. For power users, the site is the way to go.