MOB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CO Editorial

90% of responding Catalina owners have never lost crew overboard, according to last week's Quick Quiz. If you're in the unfortunate 10%, how did you handle the recovery? Had you practiced MOB drills? Did you use a Lifesling or similar recovery device? Could a swim platform or walkthrough transom have played an important role?

J

John Finch

MOB Drill

Several years ago--when I was young and dumb (I'm not young anymore)--I had guests aboard on a HOT, WINDLESS day. In the hub-bub of the children playing, a PFD was launched overboard. Without thinking, I went over to retrieve it. Just to prove that Murphy was alive and well, a wind gust happened at that precise moment. I had been the only sailor on board, now there was none. Oops! After many shouts without explicatives--remember the children--I made it back aboard. The next weekend, and several following weekends, sailing instruction and MOB Drill was the order of the day. Now, MOB Drill is practiced regularly. Try it! It's much more fun pretending than for real. John Finch : DOXOLOGY

F

Frank-Stagg

MOB

I had a similar situaition described by John. I was sailing my Catalina 22 on a lake at night with a bunch of non sailors down wind in 5 knots of wind. I had turned over the helm to a beginner and had gone forward to the bow to check on a fouled line. As murphy would have it a squall hit with winds in excess of 20 knots. The boat jibed as I was walking back. The boom hit me with such force that I was batted into the water a good 10 feet away. It left a truly spectacular bruise. Needless to say the non sailors were all screaming and did not know what to do. I was fortunate that we were trailing a line behind the boat that I was able to swim and grab it before the boat got away. If I had been hit in the head I would have been dead. The moral is. Always wear your PFD, especially if no one else knows how to sail.

B

Brad Elbein

MOB

I've watched this thread for years now on various web sites and e-mail lists. I have come to a conclusion that, in retrospect, is absolutely obvious. To wit: Given: that most of us are the most technically competent sailors of our crew; and Given: that most of us are the physically largest and strongest members of our crew; and Given: that if there's some out-of-the-cockpit work to be done, we are going to be the ones doing it; and Given: that therefore we are the ones likely to go overboard; and Given: that it will be virtually impossible for anyone else on our crew to haul our unconscious carcasses back aboard; then: The CONCLUSION is that the safest thing is not to go overboard. Which means that the only safe thing to do is to wear a harness all the time when we're out of the cockpit, no matter how apparently safe the conditions are. This is the only logical conclusion. It's not a comfortable one, but it's the only one. It's kind of like wearing a seat belt: unnecessary for years and years and years ... necessary only for the few seconds shortly before you die (if you're not wearing it) or are miraculously saved (if you are). Maybe we could all be leaders in a movement to make it acceptable--in fact, make it the salty, sailorly thing to do, to always wear a harness. Kind of like that thing about not having fenders hanging overboard. "Oh, you don't wear a harness when you leave the cockpit. Hmm. Probably sail a Hunter." Then all of us will be safe and none of us will look like dweebs.

L

larry shawver

watch those stumps

Grand lake St`Marys in Ohio lost 3 1/2 feet of water do to the drought of 99. All races were cancelled after July 4. But the 1977 catalina (tomohawk) wasn`t going to give up so quickly. Then it happened, the wind died and it got Hot!!! Started the 4 stroke and head for the club house. I went up front to take the sails down on the run. Thump, thump, Wooppss ,watch that stump. Over the bow puplit I went holding on to the 150 sail. The crew shut the motor off and got the ladder out so I could get back in. That sure hurt my pride. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.