MOB Incident on Dublin Bay

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The following video was posted by UK Sailmakers in their most recent newsletter.
The actual MOB incident occurred on Dublin Bay in moderate winds and chop. The crew happened to be out with a coach who directed the recovery effort, under power. MOB alongside in approximately 4 minutes and back on board in 6 minutes. Not perfect, but they saved a life.
As always, very difficult to actually get the person back on board after alongside.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
1) Pointer
2) Sails down in less than 2 min
3) Engine Start
4) Radio Call
5) Throw line ready at 3:10
6) line in MOB hands < 4min
7) Last foot aboard <5 min and at the bow, no less
8) Below in 6 min
9) Helicopter noise in ≈10 min

Well done...

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I'm guessing that's probably the longest six minutes of her life. Good job by the crew. Thanks for sharing.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Very difficult to see the swimmer in the water. Why is the choice so often made for fashion in color rather than something that is visible? In this case, the "coach" failed to control all of the controllable situations. First and foremost the swimmer has to be seen to be rescued!

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i'd hit the mob button on my gps as the 2nd item, simultaneously w/ yelling MOB.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I wouldn't be too critical because most importantly, they got the MOB back onboard and in a reasonable time.
I also noted that there was no command to enter the MOB on the GPS, the horsehoe PFD nor any other marker deployed. The crew was certainly large enough that they could have dropped and managed both the jib and main simultaneously; however, the captain may have wanted to deal with one task at a time to prevent someone else from going overboard.
It's hard to judge distances on the video; however, I think they got too far away from the MOB before stopping the boat. I think that a tack and quick stop would have kept the boat closer to the MOB, then drop sails, & motor. It was mentioned in the UK article, that had this incident been at night or in rougher seas, the outcome may have been different. I think it does illustrate that dropping sails and motoring certainly gives a crew more control in getting back to the MOB and stopping alongside the MOB in strong breeze conditions. No issues with not getting alongside the MOB nor sailing past the victim and having to go around again. The write up didn't mention the water temperature; however, the video clearly showed the difficulty in getting the MOB back on board once they had a line secured to her and it also showed how helpless and exhausted she was when they got her on board. Good thing that she was wearing a PFD; definitely a game changer. Good that the Captain called for MayDay and that the Coast Guard was on station quickly. Also, observed that he stayed in control and directed the crew effectively; no second guessing captain's orders by the crew. Again, any successful recovery of a MOB is a good one, regardless of inconsistencies.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks @BigEasy . Great video. Successful evolution. Happens do quickly She just slipped under the lifeline.
Interesting how long it took to get her out of the water once the boat was beside the MOB.
2-3 people trying to lift her, drag her back onboard. She was pretty much helpless in the water trying to get aboard. Even once on board trying to get her to the cabin and then below was an effort.

What if they had to lift a 225 male up and over 3-4 foot of freeboard.
Makes the idea of rigging a winch a necessity. Would you have one ready or would you have to try and figure it out in the middle of the rescue.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think it's a good demonstration an effective way to handle the situation. It looked to me like tacking was pretty difficult with their full crew before the MOB so I don't fault them for choosing to take down the sails rather than an immediate quick stop. You need to apply the right tools for the specific situation you're in, and I assume the captain quickly made the judgement that given the wind speed and visibility dropping the sails methodically and then returning was the best option. Hitting the MOB button and throwing a ring, marker, or anything else that floats do seem like possible improvements.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If I attempted an over the side recovery, would likely use the dedicated spin halyard & winch. More than likely, once the MOB was attached to a secure line, would lead him/her aft and heave onto the swim platform (with motor off to prevent inadvertently hitting shift lever and engaging prop.) I am surprised that they didn't attempt to haul her over the stern because of lower freeboard & open transom. It's easy to sit here and arm chair quarterback the situation; however, in a live situation with the adrenaline pumping...who knows. All said, I think the crew performed admirably.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Maybe I would try pulling someone on board like that if I had crew, but if I was short-handed like I usually am, I think I would get them the life ring and rope, then pull them to the stern and the boarding ladder (assuming they are conscious), and help them up the ladder.

I sure don’t like the idea of coming to the MOB on the upwind side, in a big chop. I am sure I would run them over.

Greg