MMSI question for MOB transponder, need fast answer

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My radio resets to Ch16 for all DSC emergency calls responses. No option. I suppose I could find some boat’s MMSI number, key it in, select a response channel, set that, send, switch to the response channel and hope. But I’m more of a hail them and talk guy, and I can train any driver to do that.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My radio resets to Ch16 for all DSC emergency calls responses. No option. I suppose I could find some boat’s MMSI number, key it in, select a response channel, set that, send, switch to the response channel and hope. But I’m more of a hail them and talk guy, and I can train any driver to do that.
They all do, I think in this discussion we've drifted back and forth between emergency hailing and normal hailing in DSC mode. That has caused some confusion.

The protocol is for all radios receiving the DSC distress message to switch and monitor 16 and wait for the CG to respond. If they don't respond in a reasonable time, then a vessel should hail the CG and perhaps relay messages. This would happen if one boat is past the 20 mile monitoring limit and another boat is within the 20 mile limit.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The protocol is for all radios receiving the DSC distress message to switch and monitor 16 and wait for the CG to respond.
I believe the radio stays on the alert channel and repeats the distress call until the distress call is acknowledged. Then it switches to channel 16 for verbal communications.