MMSI!!! I'm confused here, who's on first base?

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I think as time goes on after 911, more and more regulator's are I believe doing the right thing but lacks the final punch, or even the big picture.. In my opinion! So I buy a radio with DCS included and proceed to get a MMSI number and that's when the breaks hit....

I contact the US Coastguard they send me to the main CG headquarters and they did some looksee and had to call me back. They call back and proceeded to have me contact the FCC to acquire an official MMSI number. I don't know about you all but, I think the FCC website is everything but useful..lol In order to do anything you have to LOGIN.. :((

after filling out my life's history they email me a login code. Great Right!.. Not so fast.
so you read all the terms and conditions..bla..bla and finally the forms for application 100,102,106.. lalala... Yes finally found form 605 after reading some of it I said no way there has to be a better way.. or is there?

QUESTION: IS THERE A BETTER WAY? Please help me and others..

Capt. Rob

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Google boatus/mmsi, and click on the obvious, got mine in about 30 min.

I think as time goes on after 911, more and more regulator's are I believe doing the right thing but lacks the final punch, or even the big picture.. In my opinion! So I buy a radio with DCS included and proceed to get a MMSI number and that's when the breaks hit....

I contact the US Coastguard they send me to the main CG headquarters and they did some looksee and had to call me back. They call back and proceeded to have me contact the FCC to acquire an official MMSI number. I don't know about you all but, I think the FCC website is everything but useful..lol In order to do anything you have to LOGIN.. :((

after filling out my life's history they email me a login code. Great Right!.. Not so fast.
so you read all the terms and conditions..bla..bla and finally the forms for application 100,102,106.. lalala... Yes finally found form 605 after reading some of it I said no way there has to be a better way.. or is there?

Capt. Rob

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay

Capt. Rob
Go here; as others have said.

http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
IS the FCC MMSI license a one time fee or a re new every year??

BY THE WAY!!!!!

My registration is up for the boat in April every year USGC and while it was slow in January this year sent in the paperwork electronically to renew. Processed worked fine but now my annual is in january instead of April.. So if you want to be a good citizen and get stuff out of the way early beprepared to loose some calender months. WOW!!! DIDN'T KNOW THAT

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
IS the FCC MMSI license a one time fee or a re new every year??
MMSI numbers that are issued by the FCC are tied to the ship's license. Ship's licenses are issued for ten years and must be renewed. The MMSI number is good as long as the license is kept active. Just remember that the ship's license can't be transferred if the boat is sold.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
MMSI numbers that are issued by the FCC are tied to the ship's license. Ship's licenses are issued for ten years and must be renewed. The MMSI number is good as long as the license is kept active. Just remember that the ship's license can't be transferred if the boat is sold.
Yes, as you say. But recreational boats are no longer required to have a station license for their marine VHF. Thus, one does not need a station license in order to obtain an MMSI number through, for example, BOAT US. The MMSI number is still registered to the vessel and is not still transferable; there is no annual fee and no up front fee for an MMSI number that is not tied to a station license.

Oct 22, 2014
I like to thank all of you for your input! I've spoken to many USCG personnel and have come up with is what I call an conclusion according to the USCG. and the FCC money bucket.

1. Do you need an MMSI number.. YES! In the event of a DCS(push the red button) call, It enables and helps the USCG IF they need to: lookup your information about your vessel, you and any other details you have provided them. Such as, health, doctors, drugs...etc. This enables the team at rescue time to help with your needs. Your application reporting should be updated ASAP! especially if your going out and about with anyone aboard with any questionable health issues. Kind of like filing a flight plan for an aircraft. From the Boat US MMSI login: here's your options,

Main Menu Logout

View MMSI Registration Information (VIEW FIRST THEN EDIT)
Edit MMSI Registration Information
Cancel MMSI Account

Just select: Edit MMSI : Under Remarks (describes boat length, type, color,
etc. Including anything else USCG should be aware of: change any info you want to add or omit. and finally SAVE!

How long does it take this updated information to reach the USCG database approx.:24 hrs or whenever their server is synced with the FCC server. This is what I was told.

So if I was going to Nassau from Boston from Jan to Feb 30 days.. Put it in.. your done!

Now the USCG knows where your going if they receive a (DSC) the can lookup your file and they have idea of your current trip. Remember edit to remove when your done too! Remember Garbage IN.. Garbage OUT!

Question 1. Does the USCG need a MMSI number to respond to a distress call (DSC)? NO!
they respond to any DSC calls regardless.. it just makes some things easier if they know more about you and your vessel..etc! Remember the rule Who, What, Where and When.
and your done.

Question 2. Does this mean while off the coast of the US(us 12 miles) the USCG will not save me during a DSC call? NO! USCG responds only to a distress DSC call and do not care if you have a MMSI number or not, they just GO.

So I hope the information here is to some help for some of you and will continue my investigation as to FCC do, or FCC not.

In my case, I'm getting my MMSI numbers (2) from the boat us site while their FREE.
1 for my boat and 1 for spare.. you just never know.
Regards, Capt. Rob

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Yes, as you say. But recreational boats are no longer required to have a station license for their marine VHF. Thus, one does not need a station license in order to obtain an MMSI number through, for example, BOAT US. The MMSI number is still registered to the vessel and is not still transferable; there is no annual fee and no up front fee for an MMSI number that is not tied to a station license.
If you are staying in U.S. This is true. But if you are going father than the Bahamas you need the ship license.

By the way, a FCC MMSI number is shared with international rescue authorities. The boat U.S. Is not directly shared.

Oct 22, 2014
Definition of recreational boats.

The Definition of recreational boats. According to USCG/UNIC/ULS/HLS/INS/FBI/USA/GOV
is any vessel inside the 12 mile range of land. This means you can go off-shore up to 12miles before you hit international waters. At this point being out over 12 miles you-may-be-required to have in your "FCC License and FCC MMSI number to send any DSC alert.. However, you must remember the following! The USCG doesn't care about MMSI numbers..helpful YES.. but not required for a DSC.
Best regards Capt. Rob

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The Definition of recreational boats. According to USCG/UNIC/ULS/HLS/INS/FBI/USA/GOV
is any vessel inside the 12 mile range of land. This means you can go off-shore up to 12miles before you hit international waters. At this point being out over 12 miles you-may-be-required to have in your "FCC License and FCC MMSI number to send any DSC alert.. However, you must remember the following! The USCG doesn't care about MMSI numbers..helpful YES.. but not required for a DSC.
Best regards Capt. Rob
Interesting definition but seemingly inapplicable (and/or at least impractical) for Southern California recreational boaters w.r.t. FCC station licenses. For example, a sailor leaving Santa Cruz Island and heading south to Santa Catalina Island about 60 n.mi. distant would, during a large portion of the route, be more than 12 n.mi. from any shore (i.e., point of land) and in "international waters?" even though well within what is regarded as the Southern California coastal cruising area. Anyone travelling between the islands might need an FCC station license for "legal" DSC communication/alert; I doubt many have 'em. I don't. However, I also doubt the USCG will be looking that up prior to dispatching a rescue!!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
You don't need the FCC version for international waters per say. Who's going to enforce it. You do need it and the ship license to use your VHF at all in Canadian, Mexican, and the waters of any other nation with agreements with US.

Oct 22, 2014
I beg to differ.. Lets say we agree.. to disagree

If you are staying in U.S. This is true. But if you are going father than the Bahamas you need the ship license.

By the way, a FCC MMSI number is shared with international rescue authorities. The boat U.S. Is not directly shared.
Thanks for the input here! What you are saying is true.. partially! the IRA/USCG does not use the numbers "MMSI" to receive your request for help! again it helps identify you and provides the necessary information about you only.

the free MMSI number information is shared with the USCG database and if required may be transmitted at their election to other OUTSIDE databases ie.. country's. No outside country poll the FCC or USCG servers.. it's forbidden. They get a request and they reply ONLY!

Where the FCC license comes into play is, communication with other government authorities or non-us ships..etc.. but outside the 12 mile zones around US. This is what I'm finding.

Ex: Your out in international waters 150NM(more then 12nm) and you press your distress button what happens to the signal sent? Two things.
1. The US communications towers try's to get your DSC. and it does by FCC routing protocols. The tower couldn't see it, but a ship that's only 100nm out picked it up and relays automatically to the towers your distress. It's a relay of transmits from you to them.. from them maybe SAT or directly to the US towers etc.

2. But do I need an FCC license to press my button... NO!

Regards, Capt. Rob

Oct 22, 2014
You don't need the FCC version for international waters per say. Who's going to enforce it. You do need it and the ship license to use your VHF at all in Canadian, Mexican, and the waters of any other nation with agreements with US.
DO you need a FCC license to call for help? To my finding so far NO!:stirthepot:

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I don't think one can activate DSC without an MMSI. Not 100% sure on this, but I think one of the radio's requirements to activate DSC is to have it connected to a GPS and have an MMSI.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
From boat us FAQs on MMSI.

What is the difference between obtaining an MMSI from the FCC and obtaining a number from BoatUS?

BoatUS MMSI numbers are coded for recreational vessels cruising in U.S. waters only not otherwise required to be licensed; the registrations are downloaded into the U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue Database (MISLE) only. FCC-assigned MMSI numbers are coded for International Waters and go into the International Search & Rescue Database (ITU). In order to be accepted into the ITU database, any FCC assigned MMSI must end in zero. This is why the BoatUS MMSI number cannot be re-used when later applying for an FCC License for international cruising.