Mk I loom colour code

Mar 27, 2001
Does anyone have the loom colour coded. The colours I have don't agree with the curcuit diagram.

Jan 28, 2001
Wiring harness for the boatFrom: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com on behalf of groundhogyh groundhogyh@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:08 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] Mk I loom colour code

This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com)

Add cleanup rule |
More info

What is the loom?

"towlerg@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Does anyone have the loom colour coded. The colours I have don't agree with the curcuit diagram.

Jan 28, 2001
Go to the West Marine Advisor and read the article on 12 volt wiring. It will give you the correct color code for the different wires on the boat. WaltFrom: walt judy brown allore bestvega@...
Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:51 AM

Wiring harness for the boatFrom: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com on behalf of groundhogyh groundhogyh@... [AlbinVega] AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:08 AM

This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com)

Add cleanup rule |
More info

What is the loom?

"towlerg@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Nov 4, 2016
Thanks for asking that question! I too have never heard the word.... where does it come from???? I've always thought of a wiring harness as just that.... didn't know there was an alternative word or phrase for it.

n4lbl

Oct 7, 2008
My guess is that wiring harnesses were wrapped in a woven fashion, hence loom. Let that loom over you.

Mar 27, 2001
Enough already.With reference to the bundle of wires which can be found under the companion way, does anybody know what colour wire is connected to what peice of equipment?

May 30, 2006
Ok. Lol. Now i understand your question."towlerg@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Enough already.With reference to the bundle of wires which can be found under the companion way, does anybody know what colour wire is connected to what peice of equipment?

May 30, 2006
I recall there is some wiring diagrams in the original manual. I believe there are color codes in there? No?Gh"towlerg@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

May 30, 2006
If you have the manual, and the colors do not match your wiring, others who have worked on your boat probably have changed things.In this case you will need to do what i do very often. You will need to draw your own schematic diagram. Its hard, but something that must be done some day.When i did this, i found 2 small grocery bags of dead wires. Wires that were used once, but were no longer connected. Now i can see when i look in my control panel. Lol"towlerg@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Mar 27, 2001
I think the bundle of wires I'm refering to are original, they are still bound in what appears to be the original plasic tubing.

May 30, 2006
There is a bundle that travels inside the deck. I think along the starboard side. When i mounted 2 winches on the cabin top, i almost drilled it (note to future cabin top winch mounters)."towlerg@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

I think the bundle of wires I'm refering to are original, they are still bound in what appears to be the original plasic tubing.

May 30, 2006
Does not the bundle terminate on things like light switches, etc?"towlerg@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Mar 27, 2001
Groundhogyh, due to water incress, electrolysis and time everything in the compartment under the companionway step (which I think may have held the compass) pretty much fell apart. When I realized the condition of the components and fearing a fire hazard, I stripped everything.In hindsight I should have bundled together the wires going to switches (labels having faded/fallen of) and I would have had a start point.

Mar 27, 2001
Groundhogyh, yes there is a curcuit diagram with wire colours but it doesn't agree this the wires I have.

May 30, 2006
Ok, so what you can do is, for example, go up to the red port light, and short it out with some clip leads wire. Then go back to the electric box and find the shorted pair.

or.. you can use something called a wire tracer, also wire sniffer, also fox and hound. There are several names people call this but it is the same thing.

Instead of a short circuit, this will put a signal on the one end with the small piece, then you walk to the electric box and use the larger one to sniff or smell out the wires with signal. For this to work, all wires must be unconnected from anything. If they are connected, the signals will go everywhere and you will confuse the sniffer.

As far as where the wires are.... from my memory as I am not near my albin vega now.

Everything on the mast on my boat travels above and behind the sofas. Then travel inside the mast arch and up the mast.

The bathroom wires travel along the starboard above and behind the couch.

The pulpit lights go inside the deck I think. I think they exit the electric box at the back and up.

Things that are at the rear 0f the boat exit the electric box a the back bottom starboard side. THey travel in the starboard side under the cockpit floor.

You can run new wires for everything if you want except the inside the deck wires.... well, you can probably, if you want, run those along the boat port or starboard side above and behind the sofas.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want more info. Im not sure if you are rewiring everything or just reconnecting.

groundhog