Mixing fresh and stored diesel?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I recently mixed stored diesel 1:1.5, approximately, with fresh for a trip to Catalina. Motored over; nothing bad happened that I could detect. I’ve been wishing to use the stored stuff which I bought during the hype over fuel availability a couple of years ago. Yes, stored in containers in my garage for about two years. Probably not a brilliant idea, but I wonder about claims that the shelf life of diesel is only a few months, and that it requires maintenance. Of course, I inspected it for color and turbidity before using. It looked and smelled normal. It’s in there and it seems fine. Is there any experience having done this? I always question the “on-line experts” with websites who nix such ideas, probably not having had direct experience. I sometimes wonder what these guys really know:doh:, versus passing along what “everybody knows.”

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you believe the US Navy, you might want to read their opinion.

There are links in this link which can lead you to the various studies:

Thanks. I do remember seeing this report (among others) which led me to inspect a sample that sat for two days before I mixed the stored fuel with the fresher stuff in the tank. True, I would not see microorganisms but I was most concerned about clogging the filters with suspended particulates, etc. I’m changing out my two fuel filters (30 and 2 microns) this week, which have not been changed “on schedule.” Interesting that the report mentioned 1.5 to 2 yr of storage as more or less “passable.” I think mine has been stored a bit longer than that but less than 3 yr; it’s written down somewhere. I’m feeling better about using it up.

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great information @Don S/V ILLusion

On a practical side, being the penny pincher I am, I inherited (in my boat purchase) 2 tanks of diesel in 2015 from unknown sources, age, and quantity. I was not prepared to toss it as the price per gallon was in the neighborhood of, so I added 35 gallons and consu $5 USD a gallonmed the fuel over the next couple of years.

There was microbial growth and water in the tanks. I addressed this with a two-pronged attack. I installed a Racor 500 filter housing and bought a supply of filters. I shocked the tank with additives designed to kill the "diesel bugs," changed filters frequently, and added more fuel as needed with additives. Cruising over the past seven years consumed the original fuel.

These last 22 months, during the engine rebuild, the fuel in the tanks has likely developed some contaminates. Once the rest of my boat refurbishing is complete (which includes the installation of my new filter systems), I intend to utilize the polishing capabilities of the system, inspect and treat fuel in the tanks, and filter as necessary.

I've written about fuel issues here in SBO and solutions I employed.

Here is what new my primary fuel filter system looks like.

IMG_6131.jpeg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Because I like having diesel fuel directly on hand (i.e., stored), I’ll probably start a rotation. Keep 20 gallons at home for up to 1.5 to 2 yr. Then swap it out for fresh diesel as needed. Sometimes we need to tank up b/f the fuel dock opens and could not get to it the night before. I don’t like delaying departure awaiting fuel service.:what:

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I suspect you will be just fine with the actions you have taken. Additives can improve the lubricity lost as fuel ages and clean up any "diesel bugs" that are floating in the tank. A good primary filter will capture the critters and waste. Just be sure to check your filter and empty any water that has accumulated in the fuel.