Mixing Elbow replacement

Sep 5, 2010
oday 28 anderson
I’m replacing a yanmar YSM8 mixing elbow and have the adaptor to connect it to the lifter but my old elbow also has an adaptor on the other side to connect the exhaust hose. I’m no seeing this adapter on any parts list. Is anyone familiar with this one?

Sep 5, 2010
oday 28 anderson
ABC3AC27-750E-482D-BB31-C5A37F8FC077.jpeg
I’m looking for the adaptor on the right. I have the one on the left. This adaptor gets my hose size down to 1.5” to connect to a Vetus water lock muffler.

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
What you have on the old mixer is a straight pipe coupling, no doubt originally used because it's cheap as dirt. Perhaps you'd rather have a 1-1/2MNPT x 1-1/2 barb hose fitting in stainless steel? They're available.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am going to assume your boat is pre 1980's or real early 1980"s as it was the forerunner of the 1GM/1GM10. Is it a flat head single cylinder engine. Not sure where you are located but some parts are still available but not sure about the mixing elbow. Call your Yanmar dealer, identify the engine model along with serial number and the year of the boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Not sure if Mack Boring out of Somerset, NJ as the cover North Carolina but not sure about South Carolina or South Kackalacky. Suggest calling there and if he has any further questions, send me a private message.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What you have on the old mixer is a straight pipe coupling, no doubt originally used because it's cheap as dirt. Perhaps you'd rather have a 1-1/2MNPT x 1-1/2 barb hose fitting in stainless steel? They're available.
I agree. Step it down with a hose barb, not another POS coupling. It's a nice feeling when you get to improve on a PO's work.

Sep 5, 2010
oday 28 anderson
Yes, this is from a 1979 YSM8. I’ll check into a barb. Would there be an issue with thread match?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you have the new elbow home, you could take it to a hardware store and find out for sure what the thread size is.
Is that one of the Ebay stainless steel elbows? I bought one a year or so back.

Sep 5, 2010
oday 28 anderson
I checked Niemiec marine and he also said to check the hardware store. I got the adaptor and elbow from Amazon which was supplied by Austral marine. In reality our old elbow does not look bad inside. We are local lake sailors with not extreme use. We had some leak at the connector causing smoke. Since everything was removed we are just replacing.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I'd take to local weld shop with a piece stainless pipe that matches the reducer