Mistral 16 sailboat engine mount

Ace214

Feb 5, 2019
Mistral 16 Sorel
Hi everyone,

I just bought an old Mistral 16 sailing dinghy and I'm trying to figure out how to install an outboard engine mount onto the left side of the stern so I can attach a small 2 hp outboard motor. I see that there are 2 fasteners at the left side of the stern (pointed to by the yellow arrows), but I can't figure out what kind of fasteners these are. They are completely round and don't look like a bolt head or screw head (see closeup photo). Does anyone recognize this type of fastener and if I can mount an outboard to them?

stern.jpg

fastener.jpg

Thanks
Alex

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
First my rant... That looks like a real cool daysailor dingy. I'd put a paddle in it and sail it in or off the dock.

The fittings you identify look more like a ladder hook up than a motor mount.

Here is what typical motor mounts looks like.
1716817412239.png

This one is adjustable and light weight. Made out of aluminum. You are going to want a reall small light motor or you will loose the sailing benefits of the dinghy. Of note is the size and 8 bolt holes to fix the mount to the transom. You will need to put a stong backing plate on the inside of the transom. Otherwise the weight of the motor and its use thrusting the boat forward or in reverse is goign tto tear a hole in the light weight transom designed for that sailing boat.

Another alternative is you might find fixed bracket for the boat motor.

I'd keep that boat simple and sail the devil out of it. It looks light weight and flat bottomed. It looks like it would be fast. You can beach it just about anywhere. It is on a trailer so you can take it to where the wind is blowing.

Have fun.

Ace214

Feb 5, 2019
Mistral 16 Sorel
Hi John,

thanks for your feedback! I wish I could sail this boat without an outboard, but I'm sailing it on the Saint-Lawrence river where there's a 1 to 2 knot current. Don't worry, I've seen other sailboats in this part of the river, and there's no issue with sailing as long as you have an engine as a backup in case the wind doesn't cooperate.

I was hoping I could attach a thick plywood panel inside the fiberglass of the stern so that the motor mount you suggested could be securely bolted in place, but I don't have direct access inside the stern. As shown in the photo below, there's a storage compartment (sorry for the mess, I need to clean it up!) about 1 foot ahead of the stern. Between the stern and the compartment, there's an enclosed area of fiberglass (see blue arrow in the photo below). How can I access the fiberglass inside the stern so I can attach the plywood panel to it? Would I need to cut open a large hole in the fiberglass?

compartment.jpg

Thanks again!
Alex

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Regrettably, the hole may be the only way to ensure that the transom is reinforced and the bolt nuts are tight.

I see no mess. If you want a mess, you should see the cabin that I am in the middle of repairing. No, maybe that would be too scary. :yikes:

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Why not use an electric motor, they are lightweight and most of the weight will be the battery. Then you don’t need to carry gas around. Maybe you could use “L” brackets screwed to the upper deck and the transom to spread the thrust forces out over a bigger area. Cutting out a piece of fiberglass is not hard. Keep the cutout piece and put in a sheet of plywood behind it then screw the cutout piece to the plywood. That way you can always remove it for access later. Looks like you already have a round access port cutout.

• Helpful

Ace214

Feb 5, 2019
Mistral 16 Sorel
Thanks again for your feedback! I’ve never actually used an electric motor, but I do have an old 2 hp Mercury gas outboard motor that still works well and it only weighs about 25 lbs. Unfortunately, I can’t attach anything to the upper deck of the transom because the traveller spans the entire upper deck right along the stern (see photo in my first message). I’ll probably bite the bullet and cut open a hole large enough to insert a thick piece of plywood to mount the gas outboard motor.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Unscrew the traveler. Add your brackets, then screw it back down. You might need a few washers between the deck and traveler to make up the gap for the brackets. I had a 2HP 2 stroke Merc for a lot of years. Great little motor! Amazingly simple.