Mistake made when installing lines aft (fortunately it was an easy fix)

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Finally had a sunny weekend and had the chance to get the deck organizers and cam cleats installed in my 1984 Cat 22. I got the instructional video from CD and probably watched the steps about 5-6 times. It went mostly well, but one thing that wasn't called out specifically in the videos ended up becoming an issue that required me to get new bolts for all organizers and cam cleats. Here's what it looked like after I drilled the holes and glued everything in place:

IMG_2766.jpeg

And the view of the bolts from below:

IMG_2767.jpeg

Now, a couple things: I did get two bolt lengths. The shorter of the two was way to short to get the lock nut, bolt and locking bolt in place, so I knew that I had to use the long one and was going to have to use a hacksaw to cut these shorter.

In the video, it goes from drilling and fitting, then to using the hacksaw. It also mentions that you glue this down in place and let the bolts hold it in place to harden overnight. What it did not clarify explicitly is that you must use the hacksaw to file the bolts down before you glue them in. Ouch.

Even while I was doing it, I kept asking myself, "Isn't this gonna get glue in these threads? I hope I'll be able to file these down afterwards."

Sure enough, the next morning, when I pulled the bolts out, the threads were all covered in glue. I tried soaking them in mineral spirits and using a plastic then a brass brush to get all the glue out of the threads, but it was a hopeless attempt. Fortunately, the hardware store had the same bolts in the sizes that I need - even an in between length that didn't require the use of a hacksaw.

So to summarize if you're doing this project:
  1. Drill your holes and put the bolts through and measure them for trimming
  2. Take the bolts out and saw them to length
  3. THEN re-insert and set the glue
:facepalm:

Fortunately I was doing all this in town, and not all the way out at the marina.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Glad you abandoned the original hacksaw path: never a fan of ruining the threads-- you will want them to come off someday appropriately. Future reference-- for high quality stainless hardware and things you may not have handy around town:

Feb 28, 2022
Thanks for the links - the way the instructional video presented it, you can screw on one of the bolts above where you plan to use the hacksaw, then when you unscrew the bolt, it will clear out the threads. I was skeptical of that and glad that I didn't have to figure out if it was going to work. I'm not much of a metal-worker.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
It can certainly be done --but even when I have done the same to myself on purpose ( latest C22 example was cutting down the 1/4 inch threaded rod into 4 pieces for the keel remove and replacement) -- I always end up cleaning up the ragged threads with a proper die. It was nice to be able to order exact quantities/ spares and lengths of all stainless hardware. I have a nice spare pile after replacing just about everything on deck and elsewhere.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
+1 to buying bolts the proper size rather than sawing them off.

That said, in order to get the trim plates over the openings in my interior liner, I had to trim the bolts flush with the top (or bottom actually) of the nuts. For a few I used my Dremel tool, for others, I used this Dewalt reciprocating saw.

The first time I used this tool I said "Where have you been all my life?". Powerful, one-hand operation, fits in tight spaces, portable, etc. I have my 120V Porter Cable for the big jobs, but this one has so far handled everything I've thrown at it.

Feb 28, 2022
I hadn’t thought of using a reciprocating saw. I’ll have to keep that in mind. But I’m a Ryobi fanatic. Cue the power tool wars.

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I did the same install last year. I left the bolts in place and trimmed in place using a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. It leave a clean straight cut and I can use the cutoff wheel to take off any sharp edges

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My question is why or what are you glueing. I use a polysulfide type sealant, such as life caulk. It works well as a flexible and water tight bedding compound. Any type of deck hardware should be easily removable, for many reasons. Underneath, you should have a backing plate or large oversized, fender type washers to spread the load.

One other thing, if you're going to trim the bolts with a reciprocating or rotary saw (dremel tool with cut off wheel, good in tight places), it pays to have a small tap-die set in your tool collection so you can clean up the threads. Another good way, if you aren't cutting the bolts in place, is to put on the nut before you cut the bolt. After the cut is made, you can unscrew the nut to clean the flash off the cut. Doing this in place may be hard with limited space or thread lenghth, impossible if you're planning to use "cap nuts".:banghead:

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Lubricating the bolts may keep sealants from adhering to them. If it's already dried, use a Scotchbrite wheel on a drill to get it out of the threads. A 120v drill at full speed is recommended if you have a lot of fasteners. This worked well during my refit for those odd and more expensive fasteners

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The manufacturer recommends gluing the fixtures to the deck top by drilling two holes in the deck to bolt it in place while the adhesive cures, then removing the bolts?

Sep 13, 2020
Catalina 22 Birmingham Sailing Club
An oscillating tool works pretty well for this too if you are stuck with trying to cut them in place. It also tends not to throw sparks and little shards of metal all over like a cut off wheel can. Hot metal and gel coat aren't a good combination.

Another note, the cap nut can be used as a jam nut in this type of install. This allows you place a standard nut tight against a washer or backing plate and then use the cap nut to lock it in place without applying undue compression on the deck.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
An oscillating tool works pretty well for this too if you are stuck with trying to cut them in place. It also tends not to throw sparks and little shards of metal all over like a cut off wheel can. Hot metal and gel coat aren't a good combination.
The oscillating tools are a wonder. I have used mine extensively, mostly for cutting openings in the liner to install rails, halyard blocks, etc.