mistake corrected

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
i brought my boat from the yard to my mooring last weekend and since i had no sails rigged yet i didnt't wear gloves. all was fine until i grabbed my pickup stick and got my palm and fingers full of fiberglass splinters which hurt plenty. happily my rigger told me to use duct (duck?) tape on my hands and it worked - the tape picked up the splinters. so, if this ever happens to you.....

Fogg

Dec 8, 2010
Catalina 30 Tall rig New Haven
i brought my boat from the yard to my mooring last weekend and since i had no sails rigged yet i didnt't wear gloves. all was fine until i grabbed my pickup stick and got my palm and fingers full of fiberglass splinters which hurt plenty. happily my rigger told me to use duct (duck?) tape on my hands and it worked - the tape picked up the splinters. so, if this ever happens to you.....
I generally use rather tough dayglow gloves for any mooring or anchoring job. My wife can see any signals better during the day or by flashlight. I have found that covering the long fiberglass stick of the pick up buoy with reflective tape makes it easier to find in the dark and covers the prickly glass splinters. I also have placed the reflective tape on the mooring ball at our club. Again, it makes locating the mooring easier.
Best of luck.

Fogg

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
serves me right for not using my checklist. most in my club laugh at my checklist. on the list is checking the oil level. one time the dipstick came out clean two dips. i decided not to start. the bilge was full of oil, the oil filter had worked loose. i still wonder how far i would have got,

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I wouldn't have thought about getting splinters from a mooring ball pickup. I'll try to remember that one. I have tons of pairs of sailing gloves on the boat, which I usually forget to wear, hence calluses & blisters. Ah the joys of sailing. Although its worth the hand aches, back aches, wallet emptying.......

Status
Not open for further replies.