Missed out on the perfect boat... maybe you've seen others

Aug 25, 2019
Hunter None Yet North Texas Landlocked
OK, I had and missed an opportunity to buy a 460 a few months ago that was exactly what I now realize what I want / need. It was on the hard and in rough shape as the majority of ports were broken and the interior had a lot of water damage. I believe it was a hurricane salvage, however it actually had a clean title.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • A project boat that will have to be stripped down to the 'studs'
  • A good hull / deck. I'm willing to do portions of the deck or hull, but overall, should be in good shape.
  • Good mast / hardware; rigging can be crap, but mast has to be straight and true - preferably with in-mast furling
  • 3 cabin (the more I look, the more I really like the 460 layout but am open to other suggestions)
  • 2000 or newer model year
  • trying to stay under $20-25k after transportation back to the Dallas area
I'm sure I'm not the only one that walks through the boat yards / hard stands and sees boats of interest; so what I'm ACTUALLY looking for is someone's knowledge of a neglected boat / unfinished refurb / wreck that they saw last time they were wandering around (pre-lockdown of course ;P)

I have at least 4 years before I can make another major life change and go cruising, but in the meantime, I have a lot of time and desire to do a complete overhaul.

Also, I know there will be a lot of you saying that I should look at older boats but I've also looked at the methods / tech / materials and while I'm sure there are good 'old' boats out there, I'm seeing a lot of poor workmanship / materials longevity / etc. in the older boats I've looked at when looking at the structural level.

Anyway, if you ever run across something while wandering the yard, I'd love to get a contact for it.

-Texan

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Try www.Yachtsalvage.com . That's how I bought our B411 - it was actually a charity donation and there was only a little water damage from leaky ports. A lot of these are insurance salvage and you can choose depending on your skill and the extent of the damage

Aug 25, 2019
@RitSim, curious how the pricing worked out for you. Some of the boats there seem to be priced right, most don't list a price there (but can find listings for the same boats elsewhere), and others seem really high for what they are... Guess it's like anywhere else!

Maybe I just have to wait for the next hurricane to hit :oops:

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Never seen a salvage Hunter 460 in boat yards. We love our 2005 Hunter 46 for space, sailing comfort, ease of operation and maintenance.

Aug 25, 2019
Yeah, somehow this tiny shop here in DALLAS of all places had 3 of them. They were sitting for a long time apparently, then the owner liquidated them all. 2 were sold, and one was left; with a lot of work, but EXACTLY what I was looking for... Sadly I thought I was moving out of the country so didn't jump on it when I should have.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
TexanAV8R, one of my marina neighbors liked my Hunter 46 so much that they have been looking for one (466, 460 or 46) all over North America since I purchased mine last year.

Aug 25, 2019
Yeah, it's just a great looking, well-built boat and other than the split seat across from the settee, it checks almost every box I'm looking for!