minimum temperature for rolling and handling Sta-Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
One thing I have learned about winter sailing is that on the first crisp (frost) day you learn what has become brittle over the summer. It didn't seem all that cold (low 32F high 50F, about 40F when the failures occurred) to me, but a few things went "pop." I don't often sail below 25F, so I don't concern myself with arctic problems. But I like sailing in crisp conditions, at least far better than 95F no-wind conditions.

First, I went to roll-down the Sta-Glass front window--it's long in the tooth and not as clear as I like--and a 24-inch crack zipped across the lower edge with a slight "crack." Other winters, I had simply let it lay down, but I have become concerned about small cracks, so I started carefully rolling it last year. In the winter, when the companionway slider is closed, there is something to lay it on that can protect it from scratching, but in the summer when the slider is open, there is an edge that is deadly. So, what is the generally accepted minimum temperature for bending Sta-Glass? I'm sure it depends upon age, but experience would be helpful. Years ago I snapped the window in a genoa, so this is no fluke, but that window was not new either.

second, sailing in slightly bumpy small craft advisory conditions, I heard a crack from the back of the boat. The plastic (nylon, perhaps) spreader supporting the bow the tender had snapped, dropping half of the tender from the davits into the water. The resulting over-strain caused by the force of the water caused the bow floorboard to snap also, so I am making one of those today. The spreader was old and the autopy revealed that there had been a small interior crack for some time. I have made a replacement from aluminum square tube that should be less prone to sudden failure. Getting the dingy back was stimulating, for a single-hander. I was gratefull to have a harness and jacklines.

The sailing was perfect, so perhaps the day was worth the price of admission. I need new canvass, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.