minimum size boat for bahamas cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom C

I was looking through the archives and came accross a post by someone who was asking about sailing a Hunter 18.5 to Bimini from Florida. The responses he got ran along the lines of 'you're crazy' and 'I hope this is a joke'. I am relatively new to sailing but it got me wondering for future reference; what would be the minimum size boat for safely cruising to the bahamas?

Dec 5, 2003
Hunter 380 Fort Lauderdale
What ever you comfortable in

Living in FLL, we get over via the gulfstream quite a bit. That is the only portion of the trip that one should worry about the size of the boat. Depending on how well the boat is built/equipped, would determine the how good the weather window needs to be cross. Speed of the boat would also determine where the crossing needs to begin. Once inthe islands you will see all kinds of boats from 18 footers to mega yachts and 95% of your time will be in protected water.. Brian

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sandusky Harbor Marina, Lake Erie
25-27 feet?

While there are exceptions, most boats under 25 feet are not really designed to take care of you in a 24 hour trip that could involve rough conditions. A six foot breaking wave will easily capsize an 18 foot boat it catches broadside. And once inverted, a boat with a capsize screen over 2 is likely to stay inverted. The Cherubini designed Hunter 25 is the shortest Hunter on this wesite with a capsize screen below 2.0 (at 1.95). The Catalina 25 (at 1.99) occupies the same place in that line. Also, smaller boats are more likely to be quite uncomfortable in a choppy Gulf Stream crossing. More modern designs don't reach capsize screens below 2.0 until about 40 feet of loa. So the question becomes is capsize screen the only rational parameter? Probably not. We have discussed making this trip in a 240 or 260. While it has been done, and the discussion was not conclusive, I would be uncomfortable in those models. My comfort and confidence would probably return somewhere in the mid-30's for the modern boats. David Lady Lillie

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
And if you really want to take it to an extreme,

Check out this month Cruising World. Those boats were too small, even for protected waters. The guests mutinied.

P

Pops

An H25 at 1.95?

When I bought my 75 H25, my friends thought that I was buying a boat that was less than seaworthy. I had read that it was a good boat, originally designed for off shore racing (is this correct?). Am I now to believe that this is the boat that will take me to the Bahamas (Capsize ratio 1.95), or beyond? I love the boat. It does what it is supposed to do (It seems to have wonderful control over the sails). As I get better at my sailing skills, Chorro (my boat)is ready to take advantage of my new skills. If my skills, knowledge, equiptment, and confidence reach the level that make me comfortable, could I really go anywhere on this boat? No, of course not. My question is, are my basic assumptions about this boat correct? Is it a classic design that made the rules, keeps the rules, and does what a sailboat should?

M

Marc_B

Trailer Sailor Cruising Group

Here's a link to a group calling themselves the Conch Cruisers. They've gone to the Bahamas and Fort Jefferson in smaller boats, mostly Mac's. You might find them a good source of information.

R

Roger Mummah

Watch the Weather

We have crusied the Bahamas in a Hunte 31. We met a couple from Wisconsin who were cruising the Bahamas in a Hunter 25.5. We met a couple in the Abacos aboard a Hunter 26 WB. You can go to the Bahamas in a conoe if the weather is right. It's all about the weather. The average boat size we saw in the Exumas was probably 38'. In the Abacos or Biminis we say lots of bots in the 30 foot range. You might want to read our book "Cruising Endless Summer Exumas" if you want to read about a real rookie cruise to the Exumas aboard a Hunter 31. Contact me at remummah@worldnet.att.net if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.