Minimum Mast Clearance for a 1979 Hunter Cherubini 30

Lilo

Nov 26, 2013
Hunter 28.5 Patrick AFB
I can't get a straight response on the minimum clearance required for a 1979 Hunter Cherubini 30. Not sure if that year a tall rig was built or not, if such is the case I would appreciate the minimum clearance for both short and tall versions. Any assistance will be appreciated.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The Hunter 30 Cherubini of 1979 did not come with a choice of tall or short rig. The sail plan called for a high aspect ratio so it could be said that it was a tall rig. The specs indicate the height of the mast was 46.5' but that can only be taken as an approximation as boats of that era were built with whatever components were available at the time of production. Because of their age most of these boats have been modified so it is not recommended to go by the specs listing of the time. To answer your question it would be best to measure the height of your mast including any antennas or fixtures down to the waterline. When crossing under a vertical obstruction like a bridge or power lines give yourself a few feet as to allow for a higher level in the tide or any swallows created by wind or passing boats. I know people that got tired of having to wait until low tide to get in or out from their dock under a bridge and shortened their rigs and cut the sails. That is why it is best to measure your own rig.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's a good review of the Cherubini 30s in Practical Sailor. It doesn't mention mast height though.
My newer 30T is 50' from the water not counting the antenna. They are taller than the older 30's

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Among the boat specifications for my 1980 H30 were the following: Mast Height 40'6"; Ht. from waterline 47'0"

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is best to measure mast height to the waterline and not merely the length of the mast. Understandably the mast height will fluctuate by a couple of inches depending on the load on the boat.