Minifish repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2010
force 5 force 5 launched
I need to cut a hole to install an inspection port in my old Minifish that is full of water. I can't find anything about the contrsruction of the hull that lets me know whether or not it is all continuous. That is, I would hate to cut a large hole in the deck aft of the cockpit and find that the water was actually forward of the cockpit and the fore and aft interiors were not continuous. I can't tell exactly where the water is but there is lots of it sloshing when I try to tip this now really heavy boat. I don't want to trash the boat since it's such fun to just leave out on the dock and take out for quick spin. The best boat I ever bought for $100! Anybody know the answers that can help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
An inspection port is a good idea. I think the best location for this would be behind the splash guard.
There is a yahoo group called sunfish_sailor that has a lot of members who would also be happy to advise you.
The Minifish is a good old boat and nearly identical to the Sunfish.
Good luck.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
On my old Hobie Cat the pontoons had a screw drain plug on the lower back. Water could be drained with no hassel at the launch ramp. With an inspection hole you will still have to pump or scoop out. I have considered putting one on the transom of the Mac 25. It would also be easier to install with less impact on the lining structure.

Apr 6, 2010
Vagabond Vagabond-14 Tortuga bay
An inspection port is a good idea. I think the best location for this would be behind the splash guard.
There is a yahoo group called Sunfish_Sailor that has a lot of members who would also be happy to advise you.

One more thing to add - :redface:

On deck - to the right of the foot space - near the tip of the splash deflector - is a brass screw about the diameter of a nickel - just like a full size Sunfish has (Metal Drainplug 79024). It's a drain - unscrew it and let the water out.

The innards are laid out same as a Sunfish too -

How'd the water get in - the hull is supposed to be water tight - :confused:

:)

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Saildan seems to know his Sunfish. I forgot about that drain plug they put on the edge of the deck. The problem with that is you have to stand the boat up on it's side for the drain to work and a hull full of water can be quite heavy. At the junior sailing program I worked at last summer with Sunfish (& juniors of course) they had installed a drain plug on the transom that allowed a boat dragged up on the incline of the beach to drain.
The inspection port is still a good idea to help drying out the inside - you could also put a few things in there: lunch, drinks etc.
Many of the older Sunfish hulls seem to absorb water when in use, even if they started their lives out as 'water tight'.

Apr 6, 2010
Vagabond Vagabond-14 Tortuga bay
Saildan seems to know his Sunfish.
I joined the group you recommended - wow, what a resource library of guides and information - and help. :dance:

I forgot about that drain plug they put on the edge of the deck. The problem with that is you have to stand the boat up on it's side for the drain to work and a hull full of water can be quite heavy. At the junior sailing program I worked at last summer with Sunfish (& juniors of course) they had installed a drain plug on the transom that allowed a boat dragged up on the incline of the beach to drain.
I've read the side drain placement choice is so the boat is easy for a youngster to roll up and check daily. If there's no incline, lifting the bow is a whole bunch more difficult for kids.

I see in the view of the inside you could drill a drain outlet where floatation is and it wouldn't drain then. I think a sloshing boat is a one time issue - you get fixed, daily checking is an always thing and the easier the better for all circumstances, not just when you find a slope to drag the boat up. ;)

- you could also put a few things in there: lunch, drinks etc.
If you get one with a bag liner - or else you might loose that stuff inside. :doh:

Many of the older Sunfish hulls seem to absorb water when in use, even if they started their lives out as 'water tight'.
I don't know about "absorb". I get the impression because this style boat is light weight for single handling even by kids they get beat. People are said to ground the daggerboard and crack the hull - stuff like that. There's a simple test they show that finds all the leaks. There's lots of guides to fixing the hull back to water tight.

There is an issue I see motor boats have with their flotation that these boats could have too if water inside gets ignored for a long time. Closed cell floats gets water in them when they get steamed in an enclosed hull sitting in the sun. That group shows the technical explaination and how to dry it back to like new. I had to do that for my boat and it worked. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.