Mineral Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

I have read about putting mineral oil in the head as lubrication. Does this inhibit the work of KO?

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Any oil poured down the head...

can create an oil slick on the surface in the tank, effectively sealing the contents and turning them anaerobic--which is the only condition in which odor can occur. Organic material cannot generate odor in the presence of oxygen. So pouring vegetable oil or mineral oil down the toilet makes it harder for any odor control product--inlcuding K.O.--to be effective. A much better solution is to take the pump apart once a year--at the beginning of the season, when it's clean and dry--and lubricate it well with teflon grease. That will also give you the opportunity to replace the seals and o-rings, so that you reduce the odds of clogs by about 99%.

D

Dave Derr

Peggy, are "kits"...

for that type of servicing readily available for heads? Thanks

G

George Kornreich

teflon grease

Peggie, I've been using "Magic Lube" (the swinning pool stuff) which is teflon-based, but doesn't last too long. Is there a longer lasting product? Thanks

P

Are you using enough, George?

You should be REALLY generous with it. And it should be really thick stuff...not thin and watery. Raritan has one called Super Lube that works quite well... You might also try different brands available through pool supply stores. Like any other product, the quality is gonna vary.

P

Head "rebuild" or "repair" kits

Are available for all current model toilets...most of 'em right on the shelf at West Marine, BOAT/US etc. If your boat is old enough to have a Mansfield (which later became SeaLand) 751 or 752, both those toilets are so obsolete that no parts have been available for them for at least 5 years, but Par/Jabsco does offer a "universal" kit that has most of the needed parts. However, any toilet that old is overdue for replacement...I wouldn't spend the monety for any parts. We recommend putting a kit in every 2-3 years. NEVER replace only a single worn out seal or valve...'cuz if one is totally gone, the rest are badly worn and something else will fail shortly--and it won't happen when the bowl is empty!

Status
Not open for further replies.