Millennials on a 1938 Philip Rhodes Astro.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's a wonderful boat (love the name) and a great sequence of shots.

I sail with people of all ages, and it includes a bunch of Millennials. An equal mix of parent taught, self taught, and in particularly at WYC/LMSC class/cohort taught as part of their programs. Getting them sailing is not the issue at all, getting them TO BUY BOATS is. The vast majority of them favor 'experiences' over 'owning things' and that definitely includes boats. At WYC we have active programs to get (our 100s of) younger crew members in boat ownership, but is has limited results. They simply would rather crew on OPB (Other Peoples Boats).

I would bet a bottle of rum that those kids don't own that boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The vast majority of them favor 'experiences' over 'owning things' and that definitely includes boats.
In listening to the news about some of the concerns for our future economy, it seems like we are entering a, what I have called, a subscription economy. People don't own as much because they are either renting short-term or have a subscription for service that circumvents the need to own. Millennials are leading the way with Uber, bike share, AirBnB, etcetera. The housing market is another one of those examples. There is big concern that young adults are less able to buy that first home because the rental companies are buying up the opportunities. However, Millennials may not be that interested in owning.
The economy will follow the money.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That's a wonderful boat (love the name) and a great sequence of shots.

I sail with people of all ages, and it includes a bunch of Millennials. An equal mix of parent taught, self taught, and in particularly at WYC/LMSC class/cohort taught as part of their programs. Getting them sailing is not the issue at all, getting them TO BUY BOATS is. The vast majority of them favor 'experiences' over 'owning things' and that definitely includes boats. At WYC we have active programs to get (our 100s of) younger crew members in boat ownership, but is has limited results. They simply would rather crew on OPB (Other Peoples Boats).

I would bet a bottle of rum that those kids don't own that boat.
And you would be sending that bottle of rum to Rockport Maine. But I don't drink rum so you're off the hook.

Broad brushing a generation - always a mistake made by some of the generation before - never works.

I can think of more than a half dozen millennials that now own boats, mid 20' and up, in our harbor alone. Our problem is lack of millennial (sailors and non). We lose kids to metro areas that supply better work opportunities.

Nov 8, 2010
And you would be sending that bottle of rum to Rockport Maine. But I don't drink rum so you're off the hook.

Broad brushing a generation - always a mistake made by some of the generation before - never works.

I can think of more than a half dozen millennials that now own boats, mid 20' and up, in our harbor alone. Our problem is lack of millennial (sailors and non). We lose kids to metro areas that supply better work opportunities.
Tom, Totally agree its a broad generalization. But not one made without significant insight. I work on a club committee that it looking to solve this issue, and we work both locally and with other clubs nationwide. We do better than most but make no mistake, this 'experienced based culture' is a thing, and it also applies to sailboats. Of course you will find individuals and area groups that buck the trend (as we do too) but it is not the direction the sport is heading nationwide. Many of the younger people we see buy a boat often sell it without two years. While they still might enjoy sailing, they become disenchanted with aspects of day-to-day ownership. Sadly, for some, they would have been better off not buying as they leave the sport.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
In listening to the news about some of the concerns for our future economy, it seems like we are entering a, what I have called, a subscription economy. People don't own as much because they are either renting short-term or have a subscription for service that circumvents the need to own. Millennials are leading the way with Uber, bike share, AirBnB, etcetera. The housing market is another one of those examples. There is big concern that young adults are less able to buy that first home because the rental companies are buying up the opportunities. However, Millennials may not be that interested in owning.
The economy will follow the money.

-Will (Dragonfly)
While Uber and AirBnB are simply disruptive companies that supply the exact same SERVICE as old-school players, I totally agree with the bike service. The building that Jodi and I live in has racks for personal bikes, but the building is surrounded by dockless LimeBike rentals. Get on and go! Get a flat? Mark it and leave it! So much for carrying tire irons, patches and a pump.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Buying a sailboat is the easy part. It is the constant and costly upkeep in time, money, and worry that can keep or drive new sailors away. It can also get very frustrating to put so much of your spare time and money into a boat only to have the weather blow-up on the day or weekend you planned to use it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good comment @mm2347, but how is boat ownership any different from any other hobby or activity?

When I was avidly snow skiing I watched the up coming winter advertisements for the latest gear, the best skiing locations, the best weather forecasts. I made arrangements to get tickets, passes, or completed my ski patrol classes so I could enjoy the best experiences. We packed up the car and headed out to slopes with all the gear and road ready vehicle (which always needed maintenance for winter conditions) only to have the weather change and rain not snow great our arrival. Worst was sleet. So we chipped off the ice and stored our equipment in the shed. Went inside to start the fireplace and waited for the weather to change...

I am not too sure it is much different with a sail boat. Or for that mater any of the exciting hobby's I might choose to enjoy... Like drag racing or golf.

Nov 8, 2010
Good comment @mm2347, but how is boat ownership any different from any other hobby or activity?

When I was avidly snow skiing I watched the up coming winter advertisements for the latest gear, the best skiing locations, the best weather forecasts. I made arrangements to get tickets, passes, or completed my ski patrol classes so I could enjoy the best experiences. We packed up the car and headed out to slopes with all the gear and road ready vehicle (which always needed maintenance for winter conditions) only to have the weather change and rain not snow great our arrival. Worst was sleet. So we chipped off the ice and stored our equipment in the shed. Went inside to start the fireplace and waited for the weather to change...

I am not too sure it is much different with a sail boat. Or for that mater any of the exciting hobby's I might choose to enjoy... Like drag racing or golf.
John,
I have other 'hobbies' as well. Skiing is one in particular, which I still do avidly both as a coach, recreationally, and racing. But I spend 10x+ the resources on boat prep and maintenance as I do kitting out for skiing. Boating is its own breed of cat when it comes to the time, energy and money required to keep it going. Bested only by civil aviation.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I tried the civil aviation adventure for a while.. My pocket book felt the pain.
I did not want to imply that the numbers were identical. It is just the decisions we make as to how to spend our time.
When I skied I sought to be cutting edge. This had associated costs. When I bought my first boat, It was not a cutting edge expense nor did it have associated ongoing expenses of racing or even moorage ( a trailer sail boat, moored in the side yard). Yet there were expenses and I did enjoy the adventures. When I dropped my golf membership I noticed that my monthly cost for the new boat have replaced the country club experience. These costs are nothing when compared to my neighbors drag racing hobby. My sense is we all make choices as to hobbies. There should be no reason sailing should stand out as exceptionally different. It is more likely how you want to pursue the hobby that influences the costs.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We may have a fairly high number of millennial boat owners because of our maritime heritage. The kids on the Astro are experienced sailors. A few have many ocean miles, even some crossings. The owner (one of the kids) works at a large boat builder (custom, mostly sail) in the area.

That's not unusual. Maine is remote to the US but the world comes to us by the sea. Sailing is a way of life here. Kids grow up at sailing clubs and with parents that sail and work on boats, working on schooners and yachts as hands, working at marinas, boat builders and many related marine trades.

Some go to maritime schools for higher education.

Neglected boats are dirt cheap right now and even some good ones are a deal.

Sailing is expensive but owning a modest sailboat doesn't cost some of us a fortune, because of where we live.

I was pulling my sails, booms and mizzen mast today (at our public docks - free), and saw a 20 something kid getting his mast pulled. I know him, he bought this old C&C 27 about 5 years ago for 5k. He and a friend took it down south during a gap year (he's since gone to college). They paid their own way and did it for peanuts (we'd die living the same cruise,...)

He called Skyhook Crane, nearby (a friend). Skyhook drives up to the public landing, launches their own float out of their truck bed, and you tie up to it. Nate works the controls as his mate works on the boat. They had the stick pulled in 10 minutes or so, and lowered onto horses on the C&C. The kid then hip towed(A-4 problems?), the boat over to the public launch. Ed, one of the local haulers slid his trailer under, raised his hydraulic arms, and drove off. The boat was soon in a local yard or his parents in less than an hour.

Total cost, probably about $400. He'll need to pay that again in the spring.

Kids can't afford marina fees, Yacht clubs, mechanics (the A-4,...) or new sails. But I predict they will own boats just like their parents did, only they will do it at a younger age due to the cheap boats available: I'm seeing that in my world already.
Milennial boat.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
TomY's perspective is exactly my experience growing up. I know it's not typical, but for those who's culture growing up include the waterfront. Keeping a boat is almost as natural as owning a car. You know everyone else who is in the boating world around you. You trade for services or simply do favors because you're friends.
I remember sailing to Maine and staying at the marina in Camden. My older brother got a job for the Summer at the marina. We all started to make friends as we spent months in the area. One of my friends, at 14 years old, knew all the big schooners the way other kids knew baseball players and their stats. He could quote you sail area, length, tonnage, home port and recognized them all by profile from a distance.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
I am a person who builds motors to match the original blue print manufacturer's specifications.
As precise as our work is - I surely cannot do what Tom does with his photo essays.

Millennials or no - sailing in close quarters is worth learning - for anyone.

Tom's visuals are (and have been) exceptional. I hope he keeps it up.

Charles

Last edited: