Might be in the market for a newer tow vehicle

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
[QUOTE
Skutsje;
Great photo but a couple of questions. First do you have a safety chain on the tongue of the trailer going to the bow eye on the bow of the boat. If not, install one. Second are you using a tie down strap and if so, suggest that you turn it a couple of time on each side of the hull to prevent wind slap against the hull.[/QUOTE]

Yes I have a safety chain from the winch to the bow eye plus even a rope from the bow cleat to the bow roller on the trailer, and yes there is a tie down strap on the stern.

This was when we picked up the boat last year from Penticton BC to Red deer AB a 500 mile trip.

Sep 30, 2008
Macgregor 26 Driveway
This was when we picked up the boat last year from Penticton BC to Red deer AB a 500 mile trip.
[/QUOTE]
Hi I'm needing to replace my dodge ram diesel which was stolen while we sailed harrison lake. I'm looking at a Jeep grand cherokee diesel. It's pulling a macgregor 26x on a dual axel aluminum traillor so about 3000lbs What do you think about he towing and general drive quality? we woul using it to tow up the coquihalla. HOw's is the jeep reliability? we would be looking at a 2008 with 150k to 250k.
thank you.
bruce

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a 2006 Lincoln Mark LT (gussied up F150) it just went over 200,000 aside from the leather starting to go on the drivers seat it's fine. I would not consider a new one except my daughter just got a new job at Texas Tech and we are likely to be making several 2,400 mile trips a year out to Lubbock. Even if it were just me it'd be fine but I am concerned a bit of it having issues out in west Texas with my wife and son in the car. I had a 1996 F150 with 260,000 before I was pressured into replacing it by the wife and daughter. The idea of a new truck is appealing but the thought of 60 $1,000 payments is not so much. I'm reluctant but will probably be sporting a new one when we make the trip out there in December.

All that aside I watched with great interest the commercials for the new Dodge trucks have a feature available that allows you to drop the tail end from the cab as you back up to the hitch using the camera and raise it again so you do not have to jack the tounge of the trailer up and down. Way cool, almost enough to make me consider switching brands.

Apparently things are advantageous for buyers right now and when this crazy virus thing is over it may not be so it may be the medication talking but I'm hearing myself say go get it. I'm going to be right behind you getting mine as well.

Sep 30, 2008
Macgregor 26 Driveway
View attachment 118801 We tow our Hunter 23.5 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0L diesel and with that same jeep we tow a 23' travel trailer which is about 4500lbs.
I'm going to keep this vehicle for a long time, never had any real issues and that thing tows like a dream, plus those vehicles have a 7000lb towing capacity.
Hi I'm looking at getting a 2008 like yours. I'm wondering how it will do going up the Coquihala, do you have any experience with such a big hill? Even my Dodge ram struggled because of the automatic transmission. I had a torque converter lockout which really helped. Other than that I wondering how they endure with higher kms.
thank you

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If anyone needs extra power going uphill, there is a solution
Tie a carrot on a string attached to a long pole and place it in front of a donkey for extra donkey power just like Spanky and Our Gang would do.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I bought a 2010 Ram 2500 crew cab short box about a month ago. I haven't owned it long enough to make any comment on its reliability, but so far I love it. It tows my Mac 26S like a dream. It's more truck that the Mac needs, but I'm planning to upgrade to a heavier boat soon.